Day 5 - back to Cordova!!

Was feeling quite thrilled with the car at this point, only had a 30 minute drive to the track- we took the long way to burn some of the fuel out as I wanted to put race gas in it and run it on spray for the last day. The gates weren't officially opening until 9 but we were still up and out the door by 7:15-ish. Drove to the same car wash we used on day 1- wanted the Fury looking fresh for the finale, and for the tow home. Got her washed off, and made it to the track again just in time to get one of the last paved pit spots!!

At some point late on Thursday night, they tabulated the DYO results, and it turns out I was tied for 2nd overall out of 84 cars with my 12.50/12.51/12.51. I struggled with what to do, was hoping to get 3 passes in today. If I was smart, I'd run all 3 on motor to see if I could win class if the leader slipped up. He did, but I also chose poorly. lol

Began the changeover process, but this time I wanted to spray it after the first motor pass. D was supposed to go first today but they bumped us for A/B. Let air out of the tires, adjusted the shocks, and I went 2 clicks tighter on rebound in the rear in anticipation of the nitrous hitting the tire harder. Changed the plugs from -6's to -8's, bought two pails of 110 from the VP truck onsite and borrowed his quick spout because I was horribly unprepared! Also reset the preload on the caltracs to be safe.

Finally got called to the lanes a slight bit after noon, I was again one of the first pairs down the track in D class. It went a 12.476 on motor- super stoked I finished, and pulled back into the lanes immediately so I could get another pass. What I should've done is try to get closer to the 12.50. Had I kept the average I had going into the event, I would've won DYO as the leader had multiple bad passes- but in the lanes for pass 2 I checked the nitrous setup, had to monkey with the WOT switch again, and then turned the bottle on for pass number 2. laugh2

It went 11.41 @ 117.9, in not great air, with a 4 hundredths better 60' than it did at Milan, and I also was shifting at 6k (was shifting at 6500 last year). Trying to keep this stock block together and LY rods in the motor, and even with those changes it still ran what it did last year on the spray. Derek the announcer even mentioned I turned the spray on over the live feed, as he was used to seeing it run 12.50's all week.

I was happy with the result but figured if I could get another pass in, why not? It had 110 in the tank and enough nitrous for at least 2 more passes. I looked at the plugs after the run and they were a smidge lean. Debated switching the jetting from 73n/76f to 76n/80f, that would be a little more of a shot and also richen it up some if the mechanical pump can keep up. But as I was fishing through the jets they called us up for the all run session, and I didn't have time to swap them. Instead I pulled a degree less timing out of it with the MSD, and also changed the window switch on the nitrous controller to allow it to go to 6600 instead of 6000- on my last 2 nitrous passes in 3rd it has turned the nitrous off and then back on due to converter slip. Figure turning it on and off was worse than just letting it pull clean through it, as lifting wasn't going to be an option.

Pass 3 was a personal best of 11.375 @ 118! The mph didn't pick up any with the extra degree of timing so I'm definitely going to put that back to where it was. But it ran great, it is in one piece, I finished the week with a new PB and it was time to hang out for free dinner and a multi hour award ceremony.

IMG_3069.jpgIMG_3070.jpgIMG_3078.jpgIMG_3085.jpg

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118