Originally Posted by volaredon
I have 2. An unknown brand one that came from my cousin's work when they went out of business. Wish it was a little bigger. The dust evac system though is huge but kinda noisey. It has a filter in it that's the size of what's on a Mack truck. Obviously built from the factory as an incorporated unit with the cabinet. I've replaced gloves once and a couple of tips (carbide)over the years and I use the anor out of it.
My other is a Horror Freight benchtop model, what a POS.chincey chinesium, leaks like crazy. Work wouldn't buy me one at any price (even a "cheap" one) so I didn't want to spend much on a unit for "them". I've worn out a few shop vacs on that one as dust evac units. I would use it more than I do, if it was a better unit /but as it is it's there for exactly 1 reason/ as a fleet mechanic I do lots of brake jobs. I use this Horror Freight unit to clean the rust and buildup from the caliper brackets. I don't blast the whole bracket only the portion where the pads ride is b the machines grooves and any threaded holes on them. I'm always in the lookout for something better on places like marketplace and CL something like even an ALC brand or something like that, I looked at an ALC at the new northern store that opened up not too far from here but I don't want to spend $300 to donate it to work. There's a farmer who works with us in the winter who has his eyeballs on my current POS not knowing it's that much of a POS as it is..... If I find a better one letting him have it would be about the same as throwing it in the junk heap which is where the one at work is headed as soon as I can anyway. We have an old siphon feed "bucket" blaster that I think actually belongs to my boss that I have been using more lately "out the back door" for my purposes than I have been using the horror freight one.
I tossed my first cheap one it was so bad. I didn`t even want to give it away . My skat blast is about 15 years old and still works fine.