Originally Posted by That AMC Guy
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
I will disagree with one thing the guy in the video said; he said that in normal driving balancing the rear tires doesn't matter. It does matter. You can feel out of balance rears at highway speed. And they are tough on the shocks too with the extra beating they put on the valving.

I will second that. Maybe bigger trucks with floating axles can absorb the vibrations better but any passenger car tire should be balanced.

I actually got FIRED from Kal-Tire for double checking my work. I got called a "Time Waster" because I would spin the tire up a second time after putting on fresh weights to ensure I got "Double Zeros" on the second spin to ensure the customer got a truly balanced tire. I was told to: "Quit wasting time - wheel balancing doesn't need to be exact."

It was also barked at me that "Nobody can feel a half an ounce" which I replied: "I could. And if that's the attitude around here, I'll NEVER bring my toys here for anything!"

Got hauled into the office. Got let go the next day. (Barely worked there for a week. It was and probably still is a "Little Boys" Club)

Funny because when I've worked with REAL MECHANICS at the Canadian Tire chain, I was praised for double checking my work and giving the customer a quality job. Still friends with one of the mechanics I worked with over 15 years later. We had some GOOD times at that store.

But I do agree with Uncle Tony. It's a 4 out of 10 world out there now.

iagree I ALWAYS spin the tire after applying the weights. Only rarely do they need any additional attention. As often as not, they just need one of the weights moved a small amount rather than more weights added.

But it is obvious that some tire shops do give the tires a check spin. There are multiple weights in several places around the rim. laugh2

Master, again and still