I've always run Type F. No particular brand preference, just whatever I can find at the parts store when I need it. No issues w/ anything fluid related in a 3800 lb street driven car that runs 8s...w/ a 727.
My trans/converter builder is local to me and is an ex super stock racer. He and his son ran 2 NHRA SS class cars up until 7 or 8 years ago I believe. He's been doing this a LONG time...he's one to listen to in my opinion.
He told me years ago to run 1 quart of a synthetic Dexron V fluid for added lubricity and then fill the rest w/ Type F. This was after seeing some wear on one or more thrust washers if I recall correctly.
He tells his customers NOT to run the JD Hygard fluid in their cars. If they need the stall tightened up, take it out and let him adjust it. He said the lubrication properties of it just aren't that good. I didn't ask him to go into any detail, that's just what he told me when I asked about using that fluid. He said it's fine to use as a test to see if tighter is faster, but not to use it long term. twocents

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax