Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
So I'ma creeping up on 65 (wow - that can't be!!!) & I'll need to enroll in Medicare. I'm getting ALL KINDS of mail from random companies wanting to sign me up. What's in it for them??? I thought this was strictly government stuff - like Social Security. These other companies are obviously in it for $$.

ANYWAY, WHO do you sign-up through?

First off, you're not obligated to purchase supplemental medical insurance (I'm sure you know that). Do you currently have medical insurance?
If so, you likely don't need (or want) any supplemental insurance, assuming it remains after you're Medicare eligible.

For example, I'm 57 and my medical insurance covers me 100% unless I have other medical insurance (such as Medicare, coverage from a current job, etc...). If/when I acquire other medical insurance, my current insurance will only cover the deductible of my (now) primary insurance. So it depends I guess.
There are deductibles associated with Medicare. Are you prepared to pay them, or would you rather make a monthly payment to cover some of that?