Originally Posted by Big D A12
Originally Posted by 6bblgt
what if the trunk was "loaded" before there were wheels/tires on the car work or the trunk was also the reference point for the tires on the car

Below is the paragraph from the "Patik" write up on how the Super Birds were built.

Ready sets of four tires, plus the correct spare, are dropped down metal tubes to each side of the Trim Line installation point. Assembly line boredom combined with the desire for efficiency apparently has motivated workers here to learn how to land the spare tire of each and every car with one bounce into the trunk! They will find this trick tougher on the SuperBird; its deck lid opens a limited amount, to prevent it from hitting the fastback panel.

I think we can say the tire installation at Lynch Road did not change from 1969 to 1970. This would lead me to believe the label on the trunk is a quality control check for when the tires/rims are installed on the car. It would make sense that it and other QC marks (interior on the broadcast sheet) would be applied at the beginning of the Trim Line.

Thoughts?

D

Sounds plausible. I think we agree that it's not possible to determine what rim AND tire would be needed just from the marking, without checking another source. And if you'll have to check another source (broadcast sheet or the already installed four wheels), you don't need a marking that tells you what spare to use. So maybe it's some kind of quality control check, that the wheels and spare match the broadcast sheet.

Last edited by SuperRob; 01/28/22 11:08 AM.