Originally Posted by Big D A12
Originally Posted by NANKET
Did you folks ever read the write up “building a Superbird”. It documents the assembling of a Superbird form pulling the sheet metal off the rack and spot welding to the done car. Just the Chrysler factory part, not the creative industries add ons.

Some of the guesses above are comical, sit back and read this and learn how a car was assembled.

http://www.wwnboa.org/patik.htm

It is referenced several times in the thread as the "Patik" article since he is the author. Thanks for your input.

D

IMO this is a wrong order of assembly and it's shown to be wrong in the photos I posted, again IMO.

Note that the Trim Line is listed AFTER the Chassis Department: Engine "dress" mating or as it is called the "marriage" of the engine-transmission-rear end assemblies. You can clearly see those items in place BEFORE that point.
Also "Final Line: Glass, INTERIOR, and final details were also in place long before that point according to not only the assembly line photos I posted but many, many others.

The Lynch Road Plant consists of six major areas of assembly, each of which functions as a nearly-independent mini-factory.

Metal Shop = Body-in-White (BIW): assembly of complete bare body.
Paint Shop: metal preparation, painting.
Chassis Department: Engine "dress," mating of engine-transmission-rear end assemblies.
Trim Line: Installation of body mechanical and electrical parts and sub-assemblies.
Final Line: Glass, interior, final details.
Car conditioning: Repair of completed vehicles, misc. tasks.

Another question about the Superbird, did each Superbird have an individual Scheduled Production Date or a group "window" date like the two SPD's of the A12 of 3/29 and 4/26??

I can also tell you straight from Dick Maxwell's mouth to me in several personal talks with him how Production Planning and Fleet Engineering handled the A12 cars and how they were scheduled into the never saw stop assembly line. Strip away the unique special items that made the Superbirds and show me what couldn't be done on the standard assembly line?? Nothing special about the engine, driveline, interior, mounting fenders, paint, BIW, etc., just the nose cone, and wing most all of the rest was not that different that say a '69 Charger 500 including its flush rear window. On the A12 there were only a few things that couldn't be installed or done on the normal assembly line and those were the installation of the fiberglass hood, carburetors, hood decals and the high idle solenoid, Everything else was the same as if it were a Hemi Road Runner/Super Bee or a 440 GTX/RT. Dick said that the hood and items that were not assembly line items were done in a special area after the cars were finalized. Which you can see by the two different directions the SIX PACK decals were installed on the A12 Super Bees catfight grin laugh2 Now what about the SPD's for the Superbird? wink

Mike