Originally Posted by 19swinger70
Questions from a guy that doesn't have a lot of experience drag racing, but is building a car for it:

1. The 5/8" Studs are really only suggested for the rear (drive axles) of the vehicle, not the front too, correct?
2. I have some Weld wheels, and some old Cragar Super Trick wheels that use long threaded shank lug nuts. Will I need to get completely different wheels if I opt for 5/8" studs?

I am asking these questions because I am getting ready to order a Dana 60 OR a Fabricated 9" for my Cuda build - and was already thinking about stepping up to 5/8" studs.

1) Yes. 1/2" on the front.

2) The holes in the wheels you have should be 11/16" and the shank of a nut for those fits those holes. 5/8" studs also have an 11/16" shoulder in the middle that also acts as the wheel interface. The wheel will slide over those when being installed. The fit should not be sloppy. If it's too tight to install with some wiggling, the holes in the wheels may need to be finessed - honed or filed, don't get the drill out. The studs you purchase need to be sized for the thickness of the wheel center. The shoulder portion needs to protrude out of the wheel some amount - typically ~1/2" - with an appropriate spacer used under the nut.

Strange has a selection of studs for use with all common wheels. Look at that for a better explanation. Personal experience causes me to recommend the one piece machined studs over the bolt with a sleeve style. Or look up the Strange instruction sheet for them.

IMG_E5586[1].JPG
Last edited by CMcAllister; 01/11/22 04:07 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.