well, part of me wants the 3/4 ton// although a 90 3/4 ton is a "lighter duty" than a newer 3/4 ton. My son's '17 has the same GVW as my 78 D300 had.... 10,000. and my 78 was a dually, my son's is "only" a 2500. My 83 3/4 ton D250 was a 7500 GVW. They offered the 250s 3 ways then and my 83 was the "middle" GVW package.

It looks like this particular '12, 1500, I am considering, has the 4.7.... has a 6600VW, and about same tow capacity, (as the GVW) besides. I notice that online that year in the 1/2 tons, whether you get the v6 or either v8, gas mileage ratings are identical. so, in that sense, may as well get the Hemi. I wish that a 318 or 360 Mag was still an option in the 2010s decade. If I hold out for a Hemi, dunno when the next reg cab 8' bed will pop up.

I never liked the cam drive setup in any engine that ran chains across plastic guides. I have always considered that, as a stupid design. so it seems I'd be trading a stupid cam drive design, for the cylinder deactivation of the Hemi. More unneeded complication, more crap to go wrong. I've dealt with cylinder deactivation issues on GM LS engines in Caprice cop cars at work. not crazy about the 4.7 idea, but it would be an upgrade in power over the 3.9 in my 99 Dakota which gets the same mileage.... the 4.7 that year (2012) was rated at 310HP, more than what the 360 in my wife's 01 Durango has.... with similar tow capacity to the Durango with that 360. My wife is eyeing bigger campers, than the popup we have now, meaning I'd need a bigger truck than anything I currently have if we were to get one. But that's a 3-4 weekend a year job, the rest of the time a 1/2 ton would be more than fine for my needs. Mileage isn't paramount in my consideration otherwise I'd be looking at Neons.
I still have not been able to get the number of the guy with the 90 club cab.

I'm 98% sure that this '12 was originally a fastenal truck, something which I had looked into buying a few years ago/ and got "cold feet" about having payments again. Not about the trucks I was considering.
I went (test drove it) across the road to the Dodge dealer and had the parts guy (whom I know) run the VIN and he printed me up a "build sheet". This truck was pre sold to someone in Minn. but delivered to IL. Fastenal I believe is based out of Minn. I have had ex squads (Diplomats) which are also "fleet" vehicles and they did me well. My being a fleet mechanic for the State makes me even less "afraid" of a fleet vehicle. though unfortunately I mostly deal with Fords which I definitely do not want.

I DO NOT want a 4 door truck.. no way no how. and I do want the 8' bed. Regular cab Dodges are damn near impossible to find. and these current 4 door trucks with 6 foot (or less!!) beds are utterly worthless. So other than having the 4.7 instead of a Hemi and being white (again) IF I were to buy a newer gen Dodge truck, this one is pretty much what I would like it to be.

How's your guys' experience with this generation's coil sprung rear suspension?

I did go to my bank and 2 others yesterday asking "what if"... what kind of terms I could get IF I was to buy it and went thru them.... less per month and 1 year shorter term than what I got on my 97 Wrangler back in 2000.... which was my last vehicle with payments.
to get the 90 and redo it, monthly payment would be $0, and I have everything Id need to make it rust free in storage already.... just the time it would take to swap the panels, and get it in for paint. and have a cab and 1/2
Decisions, decisions. Whichever way I go, I have my 96 Dakota for a winter beater and 4x4 to keep salt and brine off of whichever "new" truck I get.....