Originally Posted by moparx
years ago, [late 1980's]
...i assembled all the necessary paperwork needed here [pa] at the time. when the virginia owner and i went to the DMV, the lady behind the counter looked at me like i had three eyes !
as there was WAY more paperwork involved in pa for title transfer [especially for an out of state vehicle] than she was used to doing, she was slightly rattled.

Some DMVs are great though -

I bought our '65 Satellite in NY, running condition about two hours from my house. A buddy drove me down there for the final purchase and drive home.
I had insurance, cash for sales tax and registration, everything I needed to plate the car and drive it home. All we needed was to bring the docs to the local DMV.

The seller had the Bill of Sale ready, however the title was from the prior MA owner, with ownership transferred to my seller, NOT left blank for me to fill out as the new owner.
So we had no document that would transfer ownership to me.
The DMV was only 10 minutes from Seller's house, in the basement of the Town Hall.
We all showed up and presented the woman with our docs and situation.
She looks things over, turns to her colleague for a short discussion, then comes back to us:

"No problem" -

She handed my Seller a NY Application for Title Transfer, he fills it out and hands it back to her with the prior owner's MA title.
Then the woman typed out a Temporary Transferrable NY Registration in my Seller's name and hands it back to him.
My Seller signs the Transfer of Ownership on the back of his Temp Transfer NY Registration.
I fill out the rest of my info on the Seller's Temp Transfer NY Registration and hand it back to the DMV lady, along with Bill of Sale, Proof of Insurance, and sales tax.
She hands me an Application for NY Registration, which I fill out and hand back.
She types up a Temp NY Registration in my name, a Temp Inspection Sticker, and hands it all back to me with a pair of NY plates.

That was an amazing day at the DMV.

Cheers,
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle