years ago, [late 1980's] i bought a 64 belvedere post car in virginia.
i assembled all the necessary paperwork needed here [pa] at the time. when the virginia owner and i went to the DMV, the lady behind the counter looked at me like i had three eyes !
as there was WAY more paperwork involved in pa for title transfer [especially for an out of state vehicle] than she was used to doing, she was slightly rattled.

then, there is california.
my brother moved there when his employer promoted [? laugh2] him. when it came time to sell his pennsylvania "free rust", er, rust free, oldsmobile, all that was required by california law, was to have the seller [my brother] sign "on the dotted line". no notary required...........
well, it seems that was a BIG mistake !
for the next couple of years, my brother was deluged by the cali DMV calling, writing, and personally visiting him because of incidences involving his former ride ! every time, he told the DMV he had sold the car long ago, [luckily, he wrote down the date, who he sold it to, and their address] and it wasn't his fault the title wasn't transferred. he even spent hours at the local [to him] DMV explaining why there seemed to be issues with his former ride.
the last issue he had with that thing was a phone call. it seemed the car was impounded for some reason, and if he didn't IMMEDIATELY show up at the impound lot, the car would be disposed of ! he said : "HAVE AT IT !" laugh2
never heard about that car afterward............. haha
beer