Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Right just amp gauge bypassed. I swear I'll get to that correct bypass one day, with help from my brother.

Any opinions on my Powermaster 150 amp alternator causing this? I believe factory was 60 amp. Did I blow it with this "upgrade"? Guitar mentioned the poor connection and insulation may have caused the melting and that's what I'm hoping. I don't know what that connection was and if it was a factory thing. Almost looks like there was some kind of inline fuse at one time with transparent sleeve? I can't tell because it was in bad shape when I got truck. All I did was wrap it better with electrical tape.

if that wire isn't in the direct path from batt to alt., then i don't see how the 150amp alt would've done that. i'd guess that likely it has been like that and is just now giving you problems. especially if you were in there trying to get your speed cable hooked up and were pushing wires around. i think sometime in the past, the wire got kinked, some of the strands broke and then it burned a bit.