Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Got it Gene thanks 👍 so about a month ago when I called and very politely told them that it was leaking extremely badly and not just a little bit that could be filled with more sealant they were polite and said they would redo it and I told him I would pay for the new gasket because I don’t want to be unreasonable and I know it’s an old truck. I told him I would call after I removed the windshield again and cleaned everything very thoroughly. I don’t expect them to do the grunt work just the skilled work. They said they could get the new gasket no problem and would have it on hand. A week ago I called and said I finally have everything ready windshield out everything clean and ready for new install and reminded the person they were to have the new gasket and the lock strip that I would pay for. No problem and we set up appointment for today. One guy shows up early 20s not a lot of experience and is surprised to see the glass out in the gasket out as well and knows nothing about a new install thinks he’s here to squirt a little more sealant to stop a leak and be gone. Then he called shop and they say poops no we can’t get the gasket customer needs to order a new one. What has happened to businesses?! Thanks to everyone for all the answers so that I am not completely ignorant as I was when I started into this.

Well, I am just going to say unless you find a shop that does old cars all the time you can do a better job on your own with a helper. I have had restoration shop's and glass shop's argue with me on how to put the windshield in properly while they are looking right at the service manual. Yep a dipshit shop owner shows up with urethane and knows more than the factory engineers.....90% of shop's and glass guys believe the gasket does all the work, any sealer you see was added later, and will [censored] it up deliberate if you point it out to them. The primer is for tape/urethane installs only. I pulled my car out of a complete restoration because of a dumbfuck owner like that and will do it myself. Dadsbee gave you nice install tips, find a friend, do it yourself, and it will be better than they could ever do. Remember this, you are better than any shop is because you have the ability to ask questions and learn, most shop's lost the ability to learn long ago. You can do it and do it right.