Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Is that the 58 Chevrolet. If so I think there is to much positive caster and to much negative camber. Personally I think you should have 2.5 to 3.5 positive caster, .5 Positive Camber and set the toe a little more 3/16 to 1/4 inch.

i'm beginning to think you are right about where this should be set to. and yes, this is the 58 impala.
the flow restrictor helped some, and i have advocated more toe in to my buddy for quite a while.
ek, having less toe in would make it worse, i think.

for those that don't recall, this car came with air bags and [factory] manual steering originally, and that bag setup was a hack install.
the car was not fun to drive, so the first thing done was to install the 500 power box. that was an improvement, but the bag system was constantly acting up. so the next thing done was to replace the front bags with the factory coil springs and new tube control arms, along with all the bushings, tierod ends, etc. the rear bags were also replaced with springs, and while the springs were out, the lower control arms were boxed and all the rear bushings were replaced.
when he took the car in to get aligned, i told him to try to get around 4 positive caster and around -3/4 camber, with 1/8" toe in.
the shop doing the work has been around for almost 70 years, and is considered to be the best in the area. why they ended up with so much negative camber, i can't answer.
also, having 14" tires doesn't help any, even if they are new. [in my opinion]
the problem was there before the tires were replaced, so i'm confident it isn't tire related.
i'll get this thing straightened out eventually, but in all the years i have been playing with cars, this thing is "driving" me nutz ! biggrin
beer

If you really want your friend to make this car better get it aligned to the specs I posted. Another thing is mis-matched incompatible parts such as pitman, idler and center link. If all is ok then get it aligned.