Originally Posted by rrbrucea
Originally Posted by AndyF
The big problem is when a customer who doesn't know anything works with an agent who doesn't know anything. Then you can get a real mess.

I lost a $3500 car trailer to exactly this issue. When I asked him about it, my agent told me it was "covered." When it was stolen out of my backyard I reported it to the cops who asked me if it was "covered." Meaning, the cops weren't going to investigate it because the trailer would just get replaced by my insurance company. Turned out my agent was talking about how my CAR insurance covered the trailer when it was hooked to my truck. In order for it to be replaced by insurance as a theft out of my backyard it needed to be declared on my HOMEOWNER'S insurance as property. Obviously I was ignorant of the coverage that I needed, my agent MAY have been, and the cops were too lazy to actually investigate a theft. A comedy of errors, but I'm the one who took the loss.

Yep, I've had agents tell me the wrong thing on several occasions. I learned the hard way that I actually need to read the policy since some agents don't know what they are talking about. I just had a new agent tell me that our daughter's dorm room was covered by our homeowners policy. I had a hunch that wasn't true do I looked it up in the policy and dorm rooms are called out as a specific exclusion to the home owners policy. I'm not sure why some agents just make stuff up, evidently they aren't trained very well. There must not be real consequences for agents just blowing smoke to customers.