Originally Posted by Neil
Years ago my dad left for work early to go out of town and hit some guys horse that got out in the dark and was wondering all over the street. The farmer guy had an ancient dilapidated barb wire fence up against a 4 lane highway and the fence posts rotted and fell over letting the horses out. The farmers insurance agent told my dad it was 100% his fault for being on the road earlier than normal. Took my dad months of fighting to get the $$$ to replace the car. My dad made the mistake of telling the cop filling out the accident report that he normally didn't drive to work that early, and the insurance guy ran with it and almost made it work.

Look up "open range" laws. Totally ridiculous.

Along the lines of your example, we've seen many times in TX and southern states where insurers will refuse to accept liability for accidents that happen when roads are snowy/icy. I've seen multiple police reports indicating no fault, even though one driver was clearly at fault. The reason? Snow and ice. All because those folks' egos are too fragile to admit they couldn't properly drive in the snow.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP