Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
It surprises me how so many people are so quick to condemn a 440 buildup if it utilizes a stock block b/c it's a "grenade waiting to go off" due to the weak block.
But...so many praise a stock junkyard engine w/ a Chinese ebay turbo.
Both can be cheap and fast, but both also have drawbacks as far as reliability.

You're right, but the 440 block still makes me a bit nervous. After tearing down my no where near 600 HP 440 and finding evidence of cap walk I'm more concerned about 440 block strength than I used to be. I had "too much timing" in it for a bit though, even though I never heard audible detonation.

One big advantage for the modern boosted stuff that I think is often overlooked is how much easier and safer it is to achieve a safe tune, and how much safer and optimal that tune might be. The knock sensors start picking up knock way before you will ever hear it, so you end up putting way less stress on everything, block included. And the ECU will pull some timing if it starts to hear knock. At 600 WHP just a little might be all it takes to break a cast or hyper piston, but at least you've got a chance. A safe tune up on a carb'd, boosted 440? Its anyone's guess, check the plugs, but are you borderline already? So the tuner probably leaves it safe and leaves a few degrees of timing on the table, but that could be 100 HP. Or he gives you the 100 HP and you split the block.

Someone on here had posted that they had installed a knock sensor on their 440 and made over 1000 HP boosted with the stock block, I don't remember who though, or if it was filled/girdled, or how much abuse it held up to.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 08/25/20 01:32 PM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street