Originally Posted by jcruse64
I read a recent Mopar Action article by Rick E, and he'd recommended going over to DOT 5, after doing a full flush (DOT 5 can't be with the earlier grades apparently). Is he right; if you're already doing a system flush, is it better to swap to 5?

No, don't do it, its a different chemistry fluid. It's an absolute no-no on an ABS/ESC vehicle especially, Keep in the gylcol fluids (3/4/5.1). New systems only if paint is more important to you than brake pedal feel.

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Originally Posted by goldduster318
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
With a pressure bleeder, open each bleeder until the fluid runs clear. Newer systems with ABS are more complex, they require a scanner to run the ABS pump.

Unless there is a ton of air in the ABS system you don't need to run the pump.

Vehicles vary, the newer LX cars even require that the car be at a certain angle (rear elevated) when bleeding brakes.

I know that specific car well, but for a brake fluid flush there should never be any air in the system, and it has no way of getting in (cap is still the highest point in the system). When you do have air, the ESC module being on the passenger side of the car behind the headlight makes it have more runs of almost horizontal tubing so they want some bubbles in that to come back to the master cylinder.

Originally Posted by Transman

Good point Moparx - but thankfully no one here has brought up the K car system in this discussion and if they did the rear right then rear left would not hold true either. (I forgot about those split systems back in the day).

Anything merging in the common reservoir would still not dictate rr/rl then fr/fl I don’t think.

The diagonal split system is the most common system on the road now, basically in everything short of pickups, wrangler, charger/challenger/300 has it now. So FR/RL is one circuit and FL/RR is another. If Doc is talking anything FWD, it's got that system.

As far as why you'd bleed the furthest away first, its just to get the longest run done first. If you were taking air out you'd want to do this anyway so it's a force of habit.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip