Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by Transman
Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted by Transman
On dual master cylinder equipped vehicles - does any brake fluid from one reservoir merge with the other reservoir at any time in a normally functioning system?

No

Didn’t think so.

So why do guys still advocate bleeding the right rear first, then left rear, then right front then left front.

Just wonderin’.

I’m guessing just a habit from the old single master days?

take a look inside the plastic reservoir of a new vehicle that has a single fill spout peeking out from under the cowl. it will fill BOTH sides of the master, with a divider wall only about 3/4 of the height of the reservoir. yes, they DO mix until the fluid level reaches a certain point, due to "xxxx" happening.
the old iron, four bolt masters were indeed separate chambers that could not merge with each other.
and then again, look at the "cross brake" operation of certain K cars and early minivans. those were bled left rear, right front, right rear, left front. [or maybe the opposite, i forget]
beer

Good point Moparx - but thankfully no one here has brought up the K car system in this discussion and if they did the rear right then rear left would not hold true either. (I forgot about those split systems back in the day).

Anything merging in the common reservoir would still not dictate rr/rl then fr/fl I don’t think.