Originally Posted by PLUM_72
the ride quality and overall experience is lacking. There is this hard, rough and tumble nature of it. I cant put my finger on what it is exactly. My 1980 Buick Regal drove better than this thing ever has. While I don't expect the 72 to be like my 2013 Challenger, I do wonder if something is wrong with the car, or if my age and expectations of the car have changed.
While I would never sell the car, ................ it needs something. Just not sure where to go as the car starts okay, drives and brakes straight. Its not like I can point to one thing that would improve the experience.
Any body else feel this way?

Thanks!

I edited a bit to try to help as best I can.

Yep, I feel this way in my E-bodies too. frown

I have suspension from bone stock low mileage survivor to Trans Am. And I think the biggest difference you are feeling is IRS. Every solid-axle leaf-spring machine from cars to trucks has an awful feel in every situation. The first vehicle I owned with IRS I know it could hang a beating on my Mopars on a track..........and it was an SUV. blush

Shock calibration on these new vehicles is thousands of hours on a suspension dyno and that can never be duplicated by the aftermarket. The OEM's have surpassed Hot Rodders and the aftermarket many years ago in suspension, engine (within emissions regs), handling, and sound deadning. Also, these things can cruise all day at 70mph+ and they hold the road the faster you go. The oldies, well, 3000 rpm at 60mph getting 12 mpg and getting passed by Kia's gets old.

Now, having said that, there are setbacks to that new SRT whatever:

1. Complicated: dealer-only repairs on even the most basic items
2. dealer support/parts end 10 years after production
3. No aftermarket support. And there never will be. PERIOD. I see others have given up arguing with me on this and it's about time they realize I'm right. "Diablo Tuner" cannot diagnose the ABS or security system on your SRT whatever. "Hemifever" cannot diagnose a transmission issue, fix your drive-by-wire or re-initialize a dead PCM
4. Expensive and a depreciating asset.

As for the '80 Buick, yes, they were a pretty luxurious car, but wouldn't that thing weigh about 4000 pounds? Maybe you need a '72 Chrysler for comparison? work

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".