I started drag racing in 1974, and have raced 5 to 10 events every year since then. I also build transmission for several of the local racers in my area. I have seen eight 727 transmissions blow up while I was at the track at the event. I have built replacements for two transmissions that blew up when I was not at the event. I have seen four turbo 350 chevy's blow up as well, they break a roller clutch going into 2nd gear. I understand how the 727 works, so I drive it the right way, most likely you will never have an issue, but develop a brain fart and boom they will go off, no hype, buy the drum, it's cheaper than all the stuff it will break if it does go, not to mention the doctor bills if it comes inside. Of those eight blow ups I saw three came inside the vehicle, thankfully no one was seriously hurt, one did need to go to the hospital and walked with a cane for several months. The ones that came in the car all had carbon fiber shields, not blankets.
I did blow up a flywheel on a 79 dart 4-speed car, and that put the fear of god in me, no manual trans car after, that I owned, did not have a blow proof bellhousing.