Originally Posted By Biginchmopar
I would love to slip the clutch, I even have an air cylinder set-up to do so. I might try it, we will see.

I don't believe the clutch broke the trans, I shifted it into second and it exploded the gear. I use the clutch to shift the car.

If this was a race only deal I would do things different. This mostly a street car that I take to the track a couple times a year.

I did look at Ram Clutches and they have some nice stuff, I might try them and see if I can launch the car without problems.

You can bet all you have that the clutch broke that gear. You need to get out of your head that there is a different clutch for the street and strip.

You need a sintered iron disc and an adjustable pressure plate. McLeod calls it the Sof-Lok clutch. Doesn't matter the name.

I can tell you what breaks parts. It's the plate load and clutch engagement time. Those two are what breaks parts. It's not 1979 any more. 3000, even 2000 pounds of static pressure is way more than you need with the correct disc.

Some people say you need the clutch to slip. That is an inaccurate way to say it. You don't want the disc to get to flywheel RPM in an instant. A sintered iron disc and a correctly tuned pressure plate will allow the disc to get to flywheel RPM at a controlled rate, rather than almost an instant.

You can do that with a rag disc, although the disc doesn't like it very much, and the rag disc requires more plate load than the sintered iron disc. Those bronze/metallic/carbon fiber discs do not like to "slipped" at all. They will have very little life.

With the sintered iron disc, you have a disc with a much higher coefficient of friction so it requires much less plate load than other discs and it will take what most call slipping much longer than other discs.

There is also the part that Grant sells (weed burner). It mechanically controls the amount of time before the clutch achieves lock up.

Either way, doesn't matter if you shift with the clutch, drive it on the street most of the time or anything else, your clutch is breaking your parts.

Bet on it.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston