Originally Posted By Biginchmopar
I would love to slip the clutch, I even have an air cylinder set-up to do so. I might try it, we will see.

I don't believe the clutch broke the trans, I shifted it into second and it exploded the gear. I use the clutch to shift the car.

If this was a race only deal I would do things different. This mostly a street car that I take to the track a couple times a year.

Any clutch has the potential to hit the input shaft with it's full capacity, up to the point where it begins to slip. Engine power doesn't really matter, because your big block inertia is there to make up the difference.

If your clutch's max capacity is 850ftlbs, that's what the input shaft will see when you dump the clutch with traction, even after a shift. Basically if you dump an 850ftlb clutch behind 625ftlb of engine power, the input shaft would see that 625ftlb of wot engine power + the clutch would draw another 225ftlb of inertia energy to reach it's slip point. When it comes time to shift, 2nd gear can see 850ftlbs x the ratio at the front of the gearbox.

Adding an external clutch controller can reduce that inertia draw from your current clutch, but there's also the option of installing a clutch with less holding power. It might be hard to believe, but a clutch with less holding power, one better matched to your engine, will also make your car quicker.

Grant