Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
From what I have seen over the years....... The Schubeck/tool steel type lifters are not the hot ticket for "street" cars.
I know of numerous people who have been through this.

After you get the cam out, if you can, get some close up pics of the nose of the lobes, so I can see if they look like others I've had in the shop.

When it's a real street car(more driving, less racing), and won't be running a roller cam...... My preference is not to use real aggressive lobes, get the cam nitrided, and use normal edm lifters.
And of course high zinc oil....... And I'm not in the "light oil" camp.

I prefer the Driven or Brad Penn myself.

Edit: I didn't see the cam pic in the first post initially.
The wear and pitting on the nose like you have is what I usually see when using this style of lifter on iron cam cores when "normal" cam profiles are used.
"Cheater", or dwell at full lift type lobes seem to hold up much better when this style of lifter is used, even with much higher spring loads.
Nitriding doesn't help at all.

I've never gotten a good answer on what's happening, but I have a theory.

It's not "defective" parts, and I don't think different oil would solve it.

Thats just what was done to mine as Dwayne speced and had my custom grind solid flat tappet cam made and nitrided it. He also sent me the EDM lifters. I use the Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 racing oil and add a small bottle of the zinc additive at each oil change. I fired my eng in June 2011 and drive it on the street all the time and its still going strong. I had the inner springs out also when I broke the cam in. I have been very happy with my solid flat tappet but I hear your pain as I hate to see anyone wipe a cam. I can honestly say I have never run a roller cam and I have never wiped a cam lobe on any of my flat tappet cams. I hope my good luck holds out the rest of my life. Good luck with yours and sorry to see that happen to your eng. Ron