Originally Posted By qwkmopardan
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Don't worry about getting them perfect by priming them when setting them, use the up and down method cold to determine absolute( + or minus .002 grin) zero lash and then add 1/4 to 1/3 turn preload thumbs twocents
Mopar had some issues with all their hi Po cam kit hydraulic lifters clattering intermittingly for several years, my wife old 1973 318 motor with the Mopar 1968 340 automatic replacement cam would have one or two lifters collapse when sitting overnight sometimes and then pump up and be good for several more days and then do it again until it had around 5000 miles on that motor shruggy confused

Try two turns and that will stop that stuff.

1/4 to 1/2 turn is for ball stud type rockers, such as sb cheapys and dorfs, and those done correctly, are a full turn. Hyd lifters are designed to run in the center of travel. Short travel race hyd. lifters as well. Those have way less plunger travel, about 1/2 of a normal lifter, therefore would not take two turns, only one or maybe less, and on ball stud rockers a half turn.

I just finished a bone stock v10 with non adjustable hyd. roller lifters. When I installed the rockers, while at TDC for each cyl., which is OK for hyd. cams, the plunger was down right at .100" from the retaining clip. Stock, non adjustable rockers, pushrods, and new stock lifters.

When the plunger is in the center of travel the lifter fills properly and holds the oil better. Any of the lifters with open valve, while engine not running, will eventually push the oil out, especially HP engines with stouter valve springs. My 2016 scat pack challenger lifters tap for a couple seconds, and then shut up right away after car sits for a few weeks. This is my 6th 09 and newer challenger and they have all done this.
Me thinks you have never tested hydraulic lifter preload methods at the track or on a engine dyno, your method is NOT the best way for Hi Performance motors that the owner wants to rev above 5000 RPM regularly shruggy scope
Maybe you need to quit buying these new cars that have lifter problems work
I never had any lifter problems ticking or collapsing before starting to buy the old DC Connection Mopar Purple Shaft cam kits down the better brand lifters don't act up from day one thumbs
BTW, I am a Mopar guy, have been from 1964 on up I have owned and driven both GM and Ford but not as many and kept, driven ,hop up and raced as Mopars up
I have found at the track and on a engine dyno with a non stock cam and adjustable rocker arms or adjustable pushrods ( for use on the early Chrysler Firepower hemi motors wrench) that 1/4 to 1/2 turn preload (depending on iron or aluminum heads) works the best for power, RPM and manifold vacuum shruggy

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)