Originally Posted By csk
You have to use a solid lifter, if not the hydro lifter push rod seat will compress as the lobe of the cam comes up, the valve wont start to open until the push rod seat bottoms out in the lifter, the solid lifter set with 0 lash starts opening the valve as soon as the cam lobe starts lifting the lifter. This has nothing to do with the installed spring height, this is to check for the actual lift at the valve.

Exactly.
You need to know the net lift, at the valve, with full spring pressure to determine if the springs are set up properly and won't cause problems.
This will also tell you what your net effective rocker ratio is.

To determine if things are going to be problematic or not, you need to know;
- spring installed height
- true spring coil bind height
- net full lift at the valve

You should have at least .050-.060 remaining spring travel from net peak lift to true coil bind height.

A spring height mic is not needed to get accurate measurements. You just need to be measuring the right way/right thing.
I'm sure his 1.885 reading is within a few thou of actual......so, take out the .060 for the cup....... You're at 1.825.

Replace the std locks with +.050 locks, and you should be fine.

I hate to seem like a "know it all", but....... As soon as I saw the heads assembled with the std locks, I was 99.999% sure the installed height was shorter than "normal".

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads