The race between JJ and Birdman is a prime example of you never know. There is no comparison in the potential of the cars. On a decent track Birdman's car is a monster and has been 3.80s. On his best pass ever, I think JJ is a second behind that. It's just a medium sized big block with a single plate kit. Line it up on a street or a no prep condition........you never know. JJ can likely use his track tune everywhere, regardless of condition because the car is just not a brute and works well. Birdman is all about power management depending on conditions. Sometimes you hit it, sometimes you don't.

This is why there are so many aborted passes now on SO. They all have WAY more power than they used to, when they could go out and just cut it loose. Now you have to gauge how much you think the road can take on a given day and what you THINK your opponent might be able to go on the condition. These are all low 4 sec cars for the most part but they are NOT going to go low 4s on any road. About the best passes I have seen on a REALLY good road are likely 4.40s. But is the road today a 4.40 road, a 4.50 road, a 4.80 road or a 5.0 road. THAT is the trick.

Also, the reason nitrous cars make really good street race cars is the way they apply power. After some pimp juice burnouts, even a crap road can get really good for a couple hundred feet. So you have the option to hit it really hard early and then lay the power back to get it to make the trip. Most turbo cars are soft early and build power late, which is generally where the road isn't so good. The reason Chiefs new car has looked so good as of late is the weight. That thing weighs about 2400lbs. You can make a 2400lb turbo car 60ft hard and gives him the luxury to race it like a nitrous car. Leave hard and then lay on the boost controller. He is likely just on the springs at the stripe.

I know it was popular, but I thought Pinks All Out was crap. Just a televised index race. What was exciting about that? To me, nothing. Pass Time was a game show and the original Pinks was just handled wrong and the cars were typically junk.

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 11/30/16 07:09 PM.