What you naysayers are not getting, and probably that's because you don't want to, the China supply line is very much like a Chinese restaurant. The list of options is endless.

So when the Promaxx head guy orders up a set of bare castings, he can order any alloy he wants. It might cost him $5.00 per head.

He may be able to make mods to the casting cores as well. Bryce Mulvey talked about that when he was blowing up Moparts about the Airwolf heads. It was pretty clear from what he said that they were cast by/for ProComp and he made some changes to the port shape.

When you talk about keeping work in the USA, fine. I can go along with that. I write that into every specification I produce. BUT, keep in mind that the casting is probably the cheapest part of the head. Handling, machine work, valve guide and seat supply and installation, springs, valves are added. Then there is advertising and making the boxes and shipping from the port to the machine facility.......get the picture?

I bet if Keith Black used a Chinese foundry he'd be able to triple his output. Whoever said it above has it right, it's hard to get any product, much less a quality product, from an American foundry. They're dirty, the work is hard, and there are many dangers. Thus, the number of foundries is dwindling and the good ones are overbooked. At the same time that it's hot, dirty work, the foundryman has to have experience because casting is more of an art than a science. So foundries can't just hire someone off the street. And, the good ones probably can't expand because of the Not In My Backyard factor.

Kudos to pittsburghracer for keeping an open mind.

R.

Last edited by dogdays; 07/25/16 02:26 PM.