I live in Florida and have an original equipped 69-383 car. Edelbrock carb boiled the fuel out and made it impossible to restart. Ditto with a restored factory Carter. Added the electric fuel pump and it helped some. Blocked off the crossover on the cast iron intake and that helped a little more. Experimented with different carb gaskets and factory style isolators with mixed results. Tried a wood spacer and the problem stopped. Reinstalled the factory Carter, still good. Disconnected the electric fuel pump, still good. Harbor Freights Temp gun showed some scary numbers while I was experimenting. I couldn't believe the differences each change made with the gun. I run real non-ethanol fuel only. There must be some other changes in current fuel other than just the ethanol. Somewhere in all of the testing, I removed the intake and resealed it. My O2 readings changed, so I suspect I also had an intake vacuum leak, causing a lean at idle problem and making the engine temp higher. I went through 4 carbs before I found the issues. Get a Temp Gun and an O2 Reader, the modern fuel makes the older vehicles finicky and these tools helped me when I finally accepted that technology was better than my past experience.

Last edited by cbusters; 09/06/15 11:40 AM.