Originally Posted By dogdays
How quickly this got on a "crap gasoline" bashing thread. Facts are often left by the wayside.

Here are some facts:

In metric units from Engineering toolbox I got thermal conductivity of the two metals in question. Holley carbs until recently were always zinc die castings, the Aluminum Four Barrel aka AFB plus other Carter lookalikes including Edelbrock are aluminum.

Zinc - 116
Aluminum - 205

That's right. I don't care what gas you use, aluminum conducts heat almost twice as well as zinc. Meaning the fuel in the aluminum carb will get hotter.

WHY do you suppose Carter made the Thermoquad body out of plastic? I am certain that one of the reasons was cutting down heat to the fuel. That was one of the advertising claims, they made a big deal about it. They had probably really been hit with this as the EPA started cutting down on emissions from evaporating gasoline.

I could get started on the amount of ignorance showing in this thread, but why bother? Anyone else know what Reid Vapor Pressure is?

Much easier to bash.

R.

Don't hold back , tell us what you really think ...

I never had a fuel boiling issue with a Carter before ethanol, but good point on alum transferring more heat, the carb on that 383 i mention above is a very OLD 650 DP, Zinc .

The Ebrock performer 750 is still a piece of junk , doesn't matter what fuel is run thru it .

running up my post count some more .