I want to bring this post back up. The debate about big flow numbers and big ports. I got some info
Something I read from a guy in the engine masters challenge. He says "You only have so much time to get the air to move, and you need air velocity to move it. If you don't have 400 feet per second minimum at 28 inches of water [ depression ], you are never going to get the air to move, especially at lower rpm." His heads only have a cross-sectional area of 2.3 square inches. The chamber by the way is 37.5 cc. You might ask why so small on the combustion chambers? Well, the combustion chambers are a by product of the ports and bore size, and the ports actually continue past the valve and into the combustion chamber. The chamber has a reason why the way it is because that's the way the port wants it to be. As far as big flow numbers go.. You can have a big flow number head like in this article that's on totalflowproducts that I am sharing. They proved in the article that better flow numbers doesn't mean more power. Actually a head that flowed less made more power. That was because of certain key things that they changed and tested to back up their results. Check it out and you might learn something. I'm one to share and try and learn something new each day. Also flow benches measure cubic feet per minute not velocity. You can easily kill energy in the port by making it too big.. You don't want to live by some is good, more is better, and big is just right because it's not.

http://www.totalflowproducts.com/flow-bench.html

Last edited by Street Monkies; 09/06/15 03:09 AM.