Moparts

Small port w8? Update flow numbers

Posted By: W5DART66

Small port w8? Update flow numbers - 12/10/12 11:59 PM

I just got a set of w8s to update intake port on it is by far the smallest intake port I have seen in a w8 casting.

I would love to know what they were run on.

Intake port 252cc. Port is 2.090" by 1.250"

SMALL!!!! ;-( Picture of my port vs the w8s

Posted By: fishy340

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 12:20 AM

probably on a guys car that was sayin,this thing is slow for a w8 lol
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 12:34 AM

15* Truck head I'm guessing...so maybe a really short track???

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 12:40 AM

It's not a truck head.
The small truck stuff was 2.160 by 1.360
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 12:45 AM

Looks like someone bought a set of raw castings and was unsure what to do with them. Wonder if it matches a commonly available gasket?!?
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 12:46 AM

I bought a sheetmetal intake one time that was run on a 290 inch motor. It was for W8 heads but very tiny ports.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 01:37 AM

sound like they could have been on a very small motor with that small of a port. I wonder what size bore they where used on
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 02:04 AM

Virgin ports... Be gentle...
Posted By: stevet340

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 04:19 AM

More than likely it was used on a small displacement, high RPM, extremely efficient engine. 360 cubic inches or less. Bigger is not always better... Not to bash the OP, but I would take the top port over the bottom one any day of the week, chances are it is a very highly efficient, high velocity port with every aspect of it set up for a max effort combination. The short side radius is a lot bigger than the bottom port for sure. The bore size wouldn't be as critical with that port it as long as it was 4" or more.

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 04:35 AM

I'd beg to difer...the op is the one who just did a set of junk heads from tx and helped the man run.5.50s w a baby cam junk intake

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 04:45 AM

Quote:

More than likely it was used on a small displacement, high RPM, extremely efficient engine. 360 cubic inches or less. Bigger is not always better... Not to bash the OP, but I would take the top port over the bottom one any day of the week, chances are it is a very highly efficient, high velocity port with every aspect of it set up for a max effort combination. The short side radius is a lot bigger than the bottom port for sure. The bore size wouldn't be as critical with that port it as long as it was 4" or more.

I am sorry but you just don't get it that top port has min cross section of 2.5 sq in this thing would not "RPM" on anything. High velocity port ?are we building dump trucks or race engines?
A PST 358. With w8 heads (CFE). Had min cross section of 3.2sq in.
A good NASCAR cup engine right now has min cross section of 3.8". I guess all the top engine builders have it wrong we need them darn high velocity ports.

I guess when I reworked Brian's small HVPs and took 20. Dur of duration out of the cam car picked up 1/2 sec and 8 mph.......

Oh and I am so glad that looking at port opening you can pick the "good port"

One of the reasons people that KNOW anything stopped posting here.....
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 04:57 AM

Very true

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 05:10 AM

Homogenous would be good starting point for port development

Sonic choke would be more for you to look into on your "high Velocity ports"

As RPM goes up demand in the intake port goes up = high air speed

It will not matter how "developed" a port is min and average cross section will become your limit as the port will go into sonic choke and HP and TQ will suffer

My port is developed as a good Homogenous port with Acceptable air speed for larger CI fast bracket car or high RPM small CI .

BTW. the head with large ports has been proven at making power this is just not some WAG.

Brett Miller
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 12:40 PM

Posted By: LA360

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 10:29 PM

Quote:

The last set of W8 heads for a small cubic inch Comp Eliminator engine were certainly not as small as those and flowed over 400cfm. The Cross sectional area would have been around 4". A 280ci engine at 9500 Rpm still needs around 3.65"
My old CFE heads had a minimum cross section of 3.48", below is a pic of the port window of the intake manifold as a reference

For whatever reason, I never took a pic of the intake face of them

The pic of the heads that Brett posted are curious, would I hazard a guess at an RPM limited road race application? It would be interesting to see how they look against an Edelbrock head, but I doubt that Brett has any of those in his shop
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/11/12 10:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The last set of W8 heads for a small cubic inch Comp Eliminator engine were certainly not as small as those and flowed over 400cfm. The Cross sectional area would have been around 4". A 280ci engine at 9500 Rpm still needs around 3.65"
My old CFE heads had a minimum cross section of 3.48", below is a pic of the port window of the intake manifold as a reference

For whatever reason, I never took a pic of the intake face of them

The pic of the heads that Brett posted are curious, would I hazard a guess at an RPM limited road race application? It would be interesting to see how they look against an Edelbrock head, but I doubt that Brett has any of those in his shop

LOL true
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/12/12 01:03 AM

Hey Brett do you think you can epoxy my W8s down to this HVP. I realy think this is what I need to make real power!!LOL You know CFE had no idea what they were doing.
Posted By: Sb Valiant

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/12/12 10:26 PM

IMO I think alot of people need to do there home work.. http://www.visnerengine.com/tech-basic-port-design.html

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/12/12 10:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jg0k7zDsB8w

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/12/12 10:33 PM

^^^^ small port heads
Posted By: bwhackd34

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/13/12 12:41 AM

easy killer.......
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/13/12 11:56 PM

Quote:

The short turn starts at about the same distance from the deck and without looking at the chamber side of the head it would be fairly safe to assume they end in roughly the same place as well, the differance is in port height and width. The only time the samller port head will make more power than the bigger port head is if everything else is too small for the engine like cam, intake, exhaust...

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/15/12 01:33 PM

I still stand by my original statement, I would much rather start with the small port head and finesse it, than take the hogged out one and hope it works. And I will try to answer Brett's questions (weather or not anyone on here can comprehend them is not my problem).

"I am sorry but you just don't get it that top port has min cross section of 2.5 sq in this thing would not "RPM" on anything. High velocity port ?are we building dump trucks or race engines?"

1. Cross section is VERY important, but it isn't the end all be all to a good, efficient head. I have a smallblock (less than 360 cubic inches) race engine, it runs well into the 8's N/A, what does your car run???

A good NASCAR cup engine right now has min cross section of 3.8". I guess all the top engine builders have it wrong we need them darn high velocity ports.

2. a PST is a very dif. entity in itself, are you making 1000+ hp, shifting at 10,500+ rpm and running 7.30's @ 175 mph in your car???

"I guess when I reworked Brian's small HVPs and took 20. Dur of duration out of the cam car picked up 1/2 sec and 8 mph......."

3. Brians car picked up a lot but it is safe to say that some of that was from finally getting good machine work done and getting away from the last smallblock "guru" who came on this site spouting big flow and HP numbers all the while peddling his wares and trying to make a "name" for himself. After more than a few shady deals fell through, he dissappeared... BTW, I have roughly 30* more duration in my cam than you do in yours, I am 60+ cubic inches smaller, roughly the same weight,(I may be 50 lbs heavier) and my heads flow roughly 60 CFM LESS than yours but I am 3 TENTHS quicker than you???

"Oh and I am so glad that looking at port opening you can pick the "good port""

3.Yes, I can. I have been doing this for a very long time and have seen enough of them to know what will work and what won't... BTW, you posted on here asking what the top head was for, just because you didn't like the answer isn't my problem...

"One of the reasons people that KNOW anything stopped posting here....."

4. EXACTLY! There are some extremely smart people that come on this site but when they try to let people in on what works FOR THEM, FOR THEIR COMBINATION, they are belittled by people afraid of being questioned, afraid of thinking outside of the box, afraid that their good "name" and their BUSINESS of "helping" (for a fee of course), less informed people by selling them their parts, products, service, whatever, will suffer. For the record, I did inquire about having a set of W-9 heads ported by you, but when you answered a couple of my questions with " IT'S NOT WORTH THE EFFORT", I realized that what you are selling is not what I am trying to do with my combination and not worth me buying. ANYTHING that will make more power, quicker ET's, more consistancy is ALWAYS worth the effort! I realize that 99% of the guys on here believe that bigger is better and with that bigger engine, airflow demand goes up, but at what price??? Eficiency? YES! I would rather have a small efficient engine than a big inefficient/lazy engine. I wish you and your business the best of luck and I will give you 2 clues to help you in your quest to make a a good head even better.
1. Swirl,tuble and stall. Learn how they affect power output. Harold Bettes of Superflow fame is a great teacher of this and other variables that are as much if not more important than overall flow. Darin Morgan is also very knowledgable on this as well as Carl Foltze of CFE fame.

2. ANYTIME you lower the port floor AND shorten the short side raduis YOU LOSE POWER! Even if you won't admit it, you and the last head "guru" on here lower the port flow and shorten the short side raduis, killing other power producing aspects of pretty much any modern cylinder head. The flow numbers may go up, but power does not go up proportionately for a number of reasons. (See number 1 above). Unless you are building a max effort PST, Australian pro-stock, or comp eliminator type engine with over 1" of valve lift and 10,000 RPM's you are hurting power output! And no, I haven't written any books or been published in any magazine to help promote my business or sell anything in the name of "helping" people, I am not trying to make a name for myself either. My car and et slips do all the talking... Again, I wish you the very best of luck, we race some of the same tracks from time to time so maybe we will meet up and compare notes...

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/15/12 01:59 PM

well i personally saw it run 5.70's @ over 3000lbs, and it 60ft like poop at cecil,so Bretts ancient suspension will run 8's out the back door w ease, it also doesn't need 9000 rpm which is cool.

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/15/12 02:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKqm1TyRg8&feature=player_embedded

here's junk the other shady guy you critized built.60 passes on motor & spray no issues 3200lb stock susp/pumpgas on motor runs 5.70ish and when he hits it with the 2kits which is what it was BUILT for converter/gears etc,,its very very fast.

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/15/12 05:20 PM

Quote:

I still stand by my original statement, I would much rather start with the small port head and finesse it, than take the hogged out one and hope it works. And I will try to answer Brett's questions (weather or not anyone on here can comprehend them is not my problem).

"I am sorry but you just don't get it that top port has min cross section of 2.5 sq in this thing would not "RPM" on anything. High velocity port ?are we building dump trucks or race engines?"

1. Cross section is VERY important, but it isn't the end all be all to a good, efficient head. I have a smallblock (less than 360 cubic inches) race engine, it runs well into the 8's N/A, what does your car run???

2. a PST is a very dif. entity in itself, are you making 1000+ hp, shifting at 10,500+ rpm and running 7.30's @ 175 mph in your car???

"I guess when I reworked Brian's small HVPs and took 20. Dur of duration out of the cam car picked up 1/2 sec and 8 mph......."

3. Brians car picked up a lot but it is safe to say that some of that was from finally getting good machine work done and getting away from the last smallblock "guru" who came on this site spouting big flow and HP numbers all the while peddling his wares and trying to make a "name" for himself. After more than a few shady deals fell through, he dissappeared... BTW, I have roughly 30* more duration in my cam than you do in yours, I am 60+ cubic inches smaller, roughly the same weight,(I may be 50 lbs heavier) and my heads flow roughly 60 CFM LESS than yours but I am 3 TENTHS quicker than you???

"Oh and I am so glad that looking at port opening you can pick the "good port""

3.Yes, I can. I have been doing this for a very long time and have seen enough of them to know what will work and what won't... BTW, you posted on here asking what the top head was for, just because you didn't like the answer isn't my problem...

"One of the reasons people that KNOW anything stopped posting here....."

4. EXACTLY! There are some extremely smart people that come on this site but when they try to let people in on what works FOR THEM, FOR THEIR COMBINATION, they are belittled by people afraid of being questioned, afraid of thinking outside of the box, afraid that their good "name" and their BUSINESS of "helping" (for a fee of course), less informed people by selling them their parts, products, service, whatever, will suffer. For the record, I did inquire about having a set of W-9 heads ported by you, but when you answered a couple of my questions with " IT'S NOT WORTH THE EFFORT", I realized that what you are selling is not what I am trying to do with my combination and not worth me buying. ANYTHING that will make more power, quicker ET's, more consistancy is ALWAYS worth the effort! I realize that 99% of the guys on here believe that bigger is better and with that bigger engine, airflow demand goes up, but at what price??? Eficiency? YES! I would rather have a small efficient engine than a big inefficient/lazy engine. I wish you and your business the best of luck and I will give you 2 clues to help you in your quest to make a a good head even better.
1. Swirl,tuble and stall. Learn how they affect power output. Harold Bettes of Superflow fame is a great teacher of this and other variables that are as much if not more important than overall flow. Darin Morgan is also very knowledgable on this as well as Carl Foltze of CFE fame.

2. ANYTIME you lower the port floor AND shorten the short side raduis YOU LOSE POWER! Even if you won't admit it, you and the last head "guru" on here lower the port flow and shorten the short side raduis, killing other power producing aspects of pretty much any modern cylinder head. The flow numbers may go up, but power does not go up proportionately for a number of reasons. (See number 1 above). Unless you are building a max effort PST, Australian pro-stock, or comp eliminator type engine with over 1" of valve lift and 10,000 RPM's you are hurting power output! And no, I haven't written any books or been published in any magazine to help promote my business or sell anything in the name of "helping" people, I am not trying to make a name for myself either. My car and et slips do all the talking... Again, I wish you the very best of luck, we race some of the same tracks from time to time so maybe we will meet up and compare notes...

this sounds like you are really good at porting heads.. why would you talk to some one else about porting a set of w9s.. im a roofer and would never ask some to do my roof . but im not a head porter so I ask you what do you charge to superman port a set of w9s thanks steve please let me no asap
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/15/12 05:42 PM

This is why I quit posting porting pics and flow #'s a long time ago...it just stirs the terd filled punch bowl!

I wait to run the engine on the dyno before I post anymore...

Oh, and as far as the whole "lowering the port/short turn and loosing power" statement...if you slow down a port that's too fast for the combo it will be a part of, and this means lowering the floor and short turn, and this fixes the port speed at the correct lift/rpm peak of the engine, you will see a power GAIN!
I've done this more than once and proved it on the dyno and the track.
Brian
Posted By: 340_Dart

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/15/12 05:51 PM

Steve,
I'm sure you have a great running small block there... But most of us will never know...
This is my problem with guys like you. Everything is a big 'effin secret! You come on here bragging about your "8 second Dart" but you wont even say how many cubic inches it is. For all we know, you have a 600" B1 powered big block under the hood.
You have no problem telling Brett the problems with is port design, yet have no real evidence that what you are using is better/ or even exists! Who does your heads???

Post some pics of your heads up and a COMPLETE rundown of your car/combination and we can see just how good your stuff is.

As far as these small port W8's go, if big power was to be made using small ports, then we'd all be running factory heads... Small port/CSA and high velocity... While these small port heads may work on an odd ball small CI combination or low RPM combination, they surely won't make power with todays average 400+" motors.
Posted By: 65 DODGE POST

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/15/12 06:08 PM

Attached picture 7504312-photo(85).JPG
Posted By: Otherlane

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/15/12 07:17 PM

I'm afraid to ask why Ryan disappeared or why SOME people are kicking his name around?

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/15/12 09:13 PM

You should check into the swirl tumble stuff most good cylinder head guys work on getting rid of it not making it.

"Swirl and Tumble , may make you Stumble"

i have a digital Strain-Gauge type Swirl Meter that reads in Inch/Ounces of Swirl Torque,..the Strain-Gauge is hooked to a limited-rotation C or CC direction Honeycomb.

i painted a thin bright yellow "radius" line facing me ontop of the Honeycomb to see "action" of Honeycomb movement or "jitter" thru Plexiglass Bore Fixture , as a means for more info along with the digital readings.

There are also commercially available Tumble-Meters and Paddle or Fan Type Swirl Meters...maybe someone has a Hot-wire Grid setup hooked to a Computer ??

Swirl should help you more with a Carburetor, at low RPMs , and with Cylinder Head Chamber design that have combustion problems or Race Engines with too much Dome in the way, bad spark plug placement, not enough Squish/Quench, etc.

Its possible to have too much Swirl and "centrifuge" Fuel out of mixture and deposit on Cylinder walls at higher RPMs

Back in 1975-1976 running NHRA C/SM & B/SM class Camaro with SBC...it was 1st time i had Gas-ports in Pistons...when you would take off Cylinder Heads, you would notice Clockwise swirl pattern of oil/gas scum trails left from gas port holes in the direction of Swirl...and CounterClockwise pattern on the other "mirrored-image" sister adjacent Cylinder
..that was the 1st Time i noticed or was made aware of "Swirl" in either Clockwise or CounterClockwise motion
...later on, when i purchased a Swirl-Meter i found out why .

There's
Cylinder Swirl in Clockwise or CounterClockwise motion direction

Tumble in both directions

Bowl Swirl/ Valve area Flow Conical Swirl in either direction

GM made a very High Bowl-Swirl cast-iron head a few years back.....it had high bowl swirl and it killed Flow numbers,
just helped lower RPM combustion efficiency, made terrible HP numbers at higher RPM range
....there is a way to create the same Bowl-Swirl GM did but not loose any Flow...but Dyno and DragStrip tests show no real benefits from all that hard work.

The NHRA SuperStock SBC heads i port have tremendous Swirl
with no Dome in the way....the Swirls just a side-effect of the way you have to port heads to make Power.
The Chrysler SBC heads i port have less swirl numbers than Chevy SBC heads, but make the same HP/Torque percentages from the Flow numbers..the higher Swirl numbers in the Chevy SBC heads seem of no advantage in HP/Torque

..so this leads into why someone wrote an article
"Swirl and Tumble , may make you Stumble"
....if you have exhausted all means to making more HP/Torque in a Cylinder Head..then i would look at maybe Swirl and Tumble.
looks around 20 or less HP gains on a 600 HP SBC
theres so much more HP to be gained from correct Porting.

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4767
This is one link.

Yes I would like to see bore and stoke of your engine and car on scales.

My car on foot brake with bad 60' 1.31 has been 5.73 at 123 mph and was 2860lbs with me in the car on that day.

With this big lazy port my engine make 500lbs of TQ at 3500 rpm and peek of 630TQ and this was engine masters build not set up for drag car I am sure e could make more HP with different cam.

My intake port is 1.460" off the deck the CFE heads are 1.300" off the deck so I don't think I have killed the ST as much as you think I did .

This port is far from lazy as you would think. Like I Siaid earlier look at the port from a stand point of a Homogenous air movement I know it can't be perfect in a port but closer you get the more power you will make = Similar old airspeed in the port floor to roof and wall to wall.

I would love to see your car run Steve

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/15/12 10:25 PM

Just had chance to read you post I was on my phone PITA to read with my old eyes.

I did inquire about having a set of W-9 heads ported by you, but when you answered a couple of my questions with " IT'S NOT WORTH THE EFFORT", I realized that what you are selling is not what I am trying to do with my combination and not worth me buying. ANYTHING that will make more power, quicker ET's, more

What you asked about was rolling the head over and I stand by what I said not worth it for making power unless it was used to get small chamber for small CI engine.

Rolling the deck will not magically make the port better yes slightly better line of sight but you did not change short turn shape or length of it .

The best is to move the guides and do raised seat location = small chamber and longer sort turn.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/15/12 10:32 PM

"swirl and tumble, may make you stumble"

Swirl; is for fuel mileage on your economy car

Tumble; is for slower bracket cars

Dump; is for all out race cars
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/16/12 12:27 AM

Brett thanks for putting the comparision picture up, and taking the time/effort to share some of the tech with us.

I find you and Brian's(ou812)Small block tech posts interesting thanks
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/16/12 02:15 AM

Like the nostalgia look. Nice dedicated race car Steve. Someday I hope to have the brains to actually back half something and put a real tire under it..... or stick with my low powered "set it and forget it" back up mill so I can hook at will, but with the storm forcast of parts accumulating for my next project, I think traction will become fair to partly cloudy. Love reading the small block tech and info from other builds. The big block car is gone, and we're having fun with my dads ride. Love them small blocks!

Jay

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/16/12 03:40 AM

Steve I would love to try a set of my w9s on your car what's your valve free drop and chamber volume ?

Are your heads rolled?

About what is your port opening hight and width?

What valve size intake and exhaust seat angle?

What length valves?

Stem size of valves?

What bore size are you at?

What rpm do you launch and shift at?

Cam may need changed but I would love to see straight up swap my heads vs your heads.

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/16/12 07:06 PM

Quote:

I just got a set of w8s to update intake port on it is by far the smallest intake port I have seen in a w8 casting.

I would love to know what they were run on.

Intake port 252cc. Port is 2.090" by 1.250"

SMALL!!!! ;-( Picture of my port vs the w8s

are you able to tell what size bore these head were used on. and are the exhaust ports smaller as well. I cant tell from the pick but looks like it has a very large water outlet.BRETT your RND is second to none I LIKE ALL SMALL BLOCK INFO...............

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/17/12 12:09 AM

Why don't we try to see the difference between a rp head and yours. I think that would be a good test!!

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/21/12 09:56 PM

They will flow real good with that big hole in them
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/21/12 10:01 PM

Yeah I would think they would put up some BIG numbers
with those holes

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/22/12 04:46 AM

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/30/12 06:20 AM

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/30/12 06:22 AM

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/30/12 06:23 AM

Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/30/12 08:15 AM

Now that's cheating, using the whole lifter valley area for "intake port volume"

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/30/12 04:38 PM

All eight?

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/30/12 05:43 PM

looks like my good set of indy heads

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/30/12 06:06 PM

Wow I think those will go over 400 with those large ports.

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/30/12 09:41 PM

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/30/12 10:31 PM

nice work

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/30/12 11:38 PM

Posted By: emarine01

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/31/12 03:45 AM

It looks like it will float to me

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/31/12 04:07 AM

Is that intake port floor leaning towards the bore?
So are you thinking about doing the EMC this year? You know I am...but I would have to go even if I had a pooch this time for sure!

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/31/12 05:15 AM

Naw just looks strange in that pic.

Re: Small port w8??? - 12/31/12 05:37 AM

Re: Small port w8??? - 01/12/13 01:32 AM

hey would like to thank brett miller for all his hard work and time he put in these heads.. I took the heads to QMP RACING hear in so cal ..and had them flow this set of small valve w8s [[2.15]] intake .. brad at qmp was very happy with these number @lift flow
500 310
550 340
600 364
650 379
700 386
and this was flowed on a 4.200 bore fixture the flow bench at QMP is very tight my cnc 360-1 raise ports went 313 cfm on this same bench .. they were very impressed with bretts work .this port would reach 400cfm with a bigger valve

Re: Small port w8??? - 01/12/13 02:28 AM

Quote:

hey would like to thank brett miller for all his hard work and time he put in these heads.. I took the heads to QMP RACING hear in so cal ..and had them flow this set of small valve w8s [[2.15]] intake .. brad at qmp was very happy with these number @lift flow
500 310
550 340
600 364
650 379
700 386
and this was flowed on a 4.200 bore fixture the flow bench at QMP is very tight my cnc 360-1 raise ports went 313 cfm on this same bench .. they were very impressed with bretts work .this port would reach 400cfm with a bigger valve

Wow those are good numbers for a small valve. I think they will run pretty good.

Re: Small port w8??? - 01/12/13 02:49 AM

Very nice, that should have made you smile

Re: Small port w8??? - 01/12/13 03:04 AM

Thanks for the update Shiloh wish had bigger valve but they will run hard.
I am more upset that they did not pull to .900 or 1.00" of lift.

I know this has been long road for you glad to see it starting to work out for you.

;-) Over 380 .....

Re: Small port w8??? - 01/12/13 04:08 AM

hey brett thanks man brad said the same thing you said it will pick up a few numbers with a valve job . I will post the final # win they are done .. just so others out there will no.. that win I struck this dill. I told brett if he could get 380 cfm on QMP'S flow bench it would be a miracle. and from what I have seen from other inline valve ,cnc small block heads for the drak side brans I was thinking more like 360or370 but never 386
Posted By: Street Monkies

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/06/15 06:58 AM

I want to bring this post back up. The debate about big flow numbers and big ports. I got some info
Something I read from a guy in the engine masters challenge. He says "You only have so much time to get the air to move, and you need air velocity to move it. If you don't have 400 feet per second minimum at 28 inches of water [ depression ], you are never going to get the air to move, especially at lower rpm." His heads only have a cross-sectional area of 2.3 square inches. The chamber by the way is 37.5 cc. You might ask why so small on the combustion chambers? Well, the combustion chambers are a by product of the ports and bore size, and the ports actually continue past the valve and into the combustion chamber. The chamber has a reason why the way it is because that's the way the port wants it to be. As far as big flow numbers go.. You can have a big flow number head like in this article that's on totalflowproducts that I am sharing. They proved in the article that better flow numbers doesn't mean more power. Actually a head that flowed less made more power. That was because of certain key things that they changed and tested to back up their results. Check it out and you might learn something. I'm one to share and try and learn something new each day. Also flow benches measure cubic feet per minute not velocity. You can easily kill energy in the port by making it too big.. You don't want to live by some is good, more is better, and big is just right because it's not.

http://www.totalflowproducts.com/flow-bench.html

Posted By: scottb

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/07/15 04:29 PM

Brett why are you wasting your time arguing with this clown he's not worth your time we all thank you for the R&D you have put into the W8-9 heads and sharing the info with us blow this clown off

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/08/15 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By Street Monkies
I want to bring this post back up. The debate about big flow numbers and big ports. I got some info
Something I read from a guy in the engine masters challenge. He says "You only have so much time to get the air to move, and you need air velocity to move it. If you don't have 400 feet per second minimum at 28 inches of water [ depression ], you are never going to get the air to move, especially at lower rpm." His heads only have a cross-sectional area of 2.3 square inches. The chamber by the way is 37.5 cc. You might ask why so small on the combustion chambers? Well, the combustion chambers are a by product of the ports and bore size, and the ports actually continue past the valve and into the combustion chamber. The chamber has a reason why the way it is because that's the way the port wants it to be. As far as big flow numbers go.. You can have a big flow number head like in this article that's on totalflowproducts that I am sharing. They proved in the article that better flow numbers doesn't mean more power. Actually a head that flowed less made more power. That was because of certain key things that they changed and tested to back up their results. Check it out and you might learn something. I'm one to share and try and learn something new each day. Also flow benches measure cubic feet per minute not velocity. You can easily kill energy in the port by making it too big.. You don't want to live by some is good, more is better, and big is just right because it's not.

http://www.totalflowproducts.com/flow-bench.html

these cylinder heads got me 5.70s on pump gas at 3000 pounds. With more to come. Thanks again Brett you're the man.

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/08/15 07:47 AM

Originally Posted By W5DART66
Naw just looks strange in that pic.

Might need a set next year to try out some new headers!!
Posted By: Rob C

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/10/15 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
hey would like to thank brett miller for all his hard work and time he put in these heads.. I took the heads to QMP RACING hear in so cal ..and had them flow this set of small....... brad at qmp was very happy with these number

Ditto with my builder here on the Island who does a lot of "Cup cars" head work. While mine are only the W5 heads, the fellas that flowed the heads we're impressed with the good flow and low swirl stating a really nice and highly efficient port. Damn shame the W5 wasn't up to snuff for more extensive porting!

To make an echo.... Thanks Brett
Posted By: Ian

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/13/15 06:05 AM

some pics of my junkie w8 s they go 400 cfm with the intake on ,remember we should not hang it on someone for trying something different with the heads ,there is many ways to make hp . [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img]

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/13/15 11:56 AM

Very nice W8 port Ian! up The short side radius looks awesome! I'm sure some will chime in the throat area appears way too small, but from what I can see it looks like a very well thought out and professionally done max effort port. I'd also venture to say it was/is a hand finished port. Thanks for sharing. wave

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/14/15 02:11 PM

thanks steve,should work well with this set up lol [img:center][/img]

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/14/15 03:46 PM

guess you're saying my 4150 carb is too small laugh2 Any eta on that project getting completed? Should be veerryy interesting!

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/15/15 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By Ian
some pics of my junkie w8 s they go 400 cfm with the intake on ,remember we should not hang it on someone for trying something different with the heads ,there is many ways to make hp . [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img]

Looks like a very nice truck port. Who did you get the heads from.

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/15/15 08:06 AM

i may run it like this with the single and nos my tunes have worked very well so far ,the sheet metal and nitrous will be the crazy deal. the heads are patterson racing and have had a some work done over here by a top pro stock team engine builder.E T A is slow due to sudden setbacks like the r block had a 5 inch crack in the new block its been hard to sauce another r3 but by xmas here with luck. [img:center][/img]

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/15/15 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By Ian
i may run it like this with the single and nos my tunes have worked very well so far ,the sheet metal and nitrous will be the crazy deal. the heads are patterson racing and have had a some work done over here by a top pro stock team engine builder.E T A is slow due to sudden setbacks like the r block had a 5 inch crack in the new block its been hard to sauce another r3 but by xmas here with luck. [img:center][/img]

What size valves are you running?

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/15/15 02:41 PM

2,25 1.55

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/15/15 02:49 PM

Wow they flow quite a bit more then my Patterson racing w8's. What valve angle are those?

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/15/15 03:03 PM

Cracked R3..... now that would suck. Hard enough procuring stuff like that over here. I need go to a 4500 on mine, but all in good time.

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/15/15 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
Cracked R3..... now that would suck. Hard enough procuring stuff like that over here. I need go to a 4500 on mine, but all in good time.
yep parts are like rocking horse ship,they say 30 hp pick up on a change of flange .

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/15/15 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By 1967dartgt
Wow they flow quite a bit more then my Patterson racing w8's. What valve angle are those?
52 in ex 45 what cc was your heads

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/16/15 04:16 PM

I was meaning 15°, 13° or what ever they are. They are 320cc. These are from the pro stock truck days when they were involved in racing those

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/17/15 02:50 AM

10 degree with 300 cc runner 36 cc chamber

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/17/15 03:26 AM

Looks like you're going to need some creative spacers in order for that intake to work. However nice looking stuff.. what are your plans, am I missing the flow numbers . 400cfm does not seem to be too difficult to achieve with these cylinder heads..

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/17/15 03:33 AM

Brett got 387cfm out of my 8s with only a 2.15 intake valve. So 400cfm with a 2.25 should be a cakewalk...

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/17/15 04:17 AM

Who gives a rata a.. about flow #s ? You can have the best flow in the world and build a pos performance motor.
Your not gonna get a 900 hp motor for $25.000 anyway we cut the pie.
Give BES,Jeremy at extreme or Chris Uratchko 35.000 and Bretts heads and you'll get a monster...And thats been said by all mentioned.

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/17/15 09:02 AM

that was a tall deck block that had a crack in it ,i am getting a 9.2 deck one now .it will be only a basic build 4 inch stroke 6.123 rod 4.165 bore 13.1 comp ,heads go 400 at 750 lift with the intake on ,if it make 750 and handles 300 hit is all i am after ,just would like a couple of 8 second passes at 3550 lbs

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/17/15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By fishy340
Who gives a rata a.. about flow #s ? You can have the best flow in the world and build a pos performance motor.
Your not gonna get a 900 hp motor for $25.000 anyway we cut the pie.
Give BES,Jeremy at extreme or Chris Uratchko 35.000 and Bretts heads and you'll get a monster...And thats been said by all mentioned.
i will get 750 not 900 i will be happy ,chris uratchko even when he runs a chev cnc port program a good idea there.
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/17/15 02:27 PM

Yeah, unfortunately flow isn't the only thing. I'm watching a Comp guy struggle with a set of W8's that go over 400cfm and it's not making the power he needs. He's been at it for years, it's taken on the status of a religious quest. S/F....Ken M
Posted By: mafo

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/17/15 06:40 PM

small block and W8's are a religion up
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/17/15 07:01 PM

I always get a kick out of the guys who say flow don't mean nothin, no one ever calls them out. Of course it matters, you can not make 700 hp NA if your heads only flow 200CFM no matter how awesome the rest of the combo is or how good of quality the flow is, if it don't flow enough it can not make the HP! There are two sides to the coin and too many guys on the extremes, the guys in the middle are the ones building lots of power. I would rather have a head with an unstable 400 CFM than an awesome 200 wouldn't you? There is a happy middle ground that makes the real power.

Re: Small port w8??? - 09/18/15 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By mafo
small block and W8's are a religion up
lol yep and for the people to stay broke/never have any money the rest of there lifes
© 2024 Moparts Forums