Quote:

Quote:

There's got to be a reason the castle nut if too far below the cotter pin hole. Either he stretched the shank or the ball is pulling from the socket. Don't tell me the ball won't come out of the socket, that's exactly what happens when they fail.

You can not pull the tapered stud through the tapered hole. It will snap off long before that happens and 70-80 ft/lbs is not going to do that. As for pulling the ball from the socket, that doesnt even make sense as an explanation of what is or isnt happening. Do you think the ball itself is being pulled through the much smaller
tapered hole?
Its the incorrect castle nut for this application. Thats the reason the cotter pin hole is above the castellations. I have seen it before and the new part (sometimes) came with a washer and (sometimes) an explanation.

You can't? Then why was my '08 Cummins Ram just recalled for tie-rod end failures? It seems the housings are cracking allowing the ball to come out of the joint. Dakotas had this same problem a few years ago. When the housing cracks there's not much to keep the ball in the joint, It's coming out! Wear alone isn't the only thing that lets the joint come apart, housing failures will let it happen, that's the reason they're recalled.

I love the smell of Deer guts in the morning, it smells like... VICTORY!