Moparts

I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do?

Posted By: plazomat

I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 01:34 AM

Bone head move...While rebuilding the front end on my 69 B, I way over torqed my inner tie rod end...probably 70-80 before I figured something was wrong..I backed off the nut and retorqed to 45lbs - the cotter pin hole is a few threads above the nut..

Should I get another rod end and start over? Remove this one and try with it again?

Run it like it is? Use a washer under the nut to bring the hole into better position?

Plaz
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 01:55 AM

Retorque to 45 ft-lbs, install the cotter pin and leave it alone.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 02:53 AM

But the cotter pin will be a few threads above the castle nut and not really do any thing?

I have seen instructions for ball joints where you add a washer under the nut to raise it up on the threaded portion so that the nut/hole/pin work together..

Anyone seen this done?

Plaz
Posted By: ahy

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 03:26 AM

I have used machine washers with castle nuts. Available at ACE in a couple different thicknesses. Mix and match as needed.
Posted By: DusTed74

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 04:56 AM

Like was said above. Remove the nut and install the washer. torque the nut and install the cotter pin. If it doesn't torque up then you have a problem otherwise don't give it a second thought.

Ted

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 06:45 AM

Awesome - I will get a washer or 2 in there in the am..

Plaz
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 04:03 PM

Something is not right , you either screwed up the taper because the arm it was going into was soft or your stretched the tie rod stud , the stud length is not to spec or the nut is not to spec , you need to find out which before just throwing a washer under it and calling it good.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 04:14 PM

Quote:

you need to find out which

What I'd do is eyeball one of the other tie rod ends (that is correctly installed) & see what ain't right/different on the bad one & go from there
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 04:40 PM

Sometimes the castled nut sp? is a different height and the slots in it are either too high, or as in your case, too low.

Check if there is one more suited to your application.

Also, with the nut off, see if any of the threads on the stud have been deformed, i.e. stretched, it will usually show up where the threads end at the larger shank portion.
If not, you should be OK to go.

Just my two cents....

Joe
Posted By: GeorgeH

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 05:03 PM

Quote:

Something is not right , you either screwed up the taper because the arm it was going into was soft or your stretched the tie rod stud , the stud length is not to spec or the nut is not to spec , you need to find out which before just throwing a washer under it and calling it good.

X2 You might have pulled the ball through the cage internally. It's just not worth taking your life in your hands over a $15 steering component.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 05:26 PM

Quote:

It's just not worth taking your life in your hands over a $15 steering component.

That was my first thought.
Posted By: TJP

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 05:35 PM

Quote:

X 3 or 4
Posted By: Silver70

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 06:09 PM

I bought tie rod ends from rockauto, 4 bucks a piece... like mentioned, not worth the risk, life or the car.
Posted By: carteravs

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 06:19 PM

You're right, the "tall" nuts are used with ends that have a dog point
on the end of the stud. The "short" nuts fit ends that are threaded all the way to the end of the stud.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 06:41 PM

Quote:

100% correct, you've hurt something. Either you've pulled the ball almost out of the joint or stretched the shaft, REPLACE THAT TIEROD.
Posted By: therocks

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 09:36 PM

I think you could tighten it to 500 ftlbs and not pull the ball out of the socket.It stops when the taper gets so far.Only thing you might do is stretch the threads a bit.That ball will not pull out.You are pulling the tapers thats it
Rocky
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/21/14 11:34 PM

Quote:

I think you could tighten it to 500 ftlbs and not pull the ball out of the socket.It stops when the taper gets so far.Only thing you might do is stretch the threads a bit.That ball will not pull out.You are pulling the tapers thats it
Rocky

Gotta agree with Rocky. 70-80 ftlbs isnt going to pull the ball out of the socket. My bet is you have the wrong castle nut. If you stretched it that much it would likely have broken or at least be deformed enough that you could see it.
Compare the stud length and castle nut to the others you installed.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 12:44 AM

Hey I agree that no amount is worth my life or my kids life - so I asked here for opinions. I fugured since lots of people use impacts not torque wrenches to install these - 70-80 lbs I aint the first to do..

If it wasn't for the nut/hole/cotter issue not sure I would have given it another thought.

I will order another joint - I will remove the nut maybe even the joint to check the taper on the arm and use this as a learning moment - I hope i did not FUBAR it..

Thanks
Plaz

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 12:45 AM

Jim I think some of this stuff is way over thought.I can tell these guys never worked in a garage at flat rate.Zip them in with your impact.Just dont go wild doing it.That was on daily drivers that saw more miles in a month than most of these will see in 2 years. Rocky
Posted By: BDW

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 01:24 AM

Wise words, you think the factory designed something that would fail when torqued to 80lbs when only 40lbs is spec.

Add the washer and be done with it, don't waste money on another part you don't need.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 01:47 AM

Quote:

Jim I think some of this stuff is way over thought.I can tell these guys never worked in a garage at flat rate.Zip them in with your impact.Just dont go wild doing it.That was on daily drivers that saw more miles in a month than most of these will see in 2 years. Rocky

I've put literally 1000's of these together on daily driver cars of all types. I can't remember torquing many with a wrench. Zip them on,pop the cotter in and go. If the castle nut don't line up I'd be looking at the nut more than anything.....doubt you could stretch a hardened stud at 80 ft lbs.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 04:18 AM

There's got to be a reason the castle nut if too far below the cotter pin hole. Either he stretched the shank or the ball is pulling from the socket. Don't tell me the ball won't come out of the socket, that's exactly what happens when they fail. Plus, these are most likely parts made in China, do you really want to trust your families lives or other motorist lives on a sub-standard Chinese part? My son worked at a bolt supply store and would get cases of grade 8 bolts in and find many with the heads popped off the bolts. They had to sort through them to remove the bad bolts before putting them out for sale. They were told to never tell the public about this process.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 04:29 AM

Quote:

Seriously ??

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 04:31 AM

Quote:

There's got to be a reason the castle nut if too far below the cotter pin hole. Either he stretched the shank or the ball is pulling from the socket. Don't tell me the ball won't come out of the socket, that's exactly what happens when they fail. Plus, these are most likely parts made in China, do you really want to trust your families lives or other motorist lives on a sub-standard Chinese part? My son worked at a bolt supply store and would get cases of grade 8 bolts in and find many with the heads popped off the bolts. They had to sort through them to remove the bad bolts before putting them out for sale. They were told to never tell the public about this process.

You're wasting your breath , only flat rate monkeys have a clue how anything can be put together .

I've had to fix more stuff screwed up by someone trying to make 16hrs of pay in an 8 hour day ...

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 04:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Seriously ??

A flat rate garage sending out something that might cause a problem??? Tell me it isn't so

MY
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 05:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Seriously ??

A flat rate garage sending out something that might cause a problem??? Tell me it isn't so

MY

Obviously you guys have never worked in a dealership where your flat rate work has to be impeccable or it costs you money. If you scratch a panel, break a bolt, or misdiagnosis a car it costs you money out of your paycheck. I average about 75 hours in a 44 hour week because I take my time and make sure all the cars are perfect before they leave.
To the original post you did not stretch the threads so far that the cotter pin won't go in. As stated before there are different nuts and some of the quality control with these components produced today is very disappointing. I put tie rods on an older Yota pickup last week and there were 2 different tie rod ends in identical boxes, the nuts were different as well.
I would just get another one and sleep easier knowing it was done right.
Gus

Attached picture 8277157-rearviewsavoy.jpg

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 08:11 AM

Quote:

There's got to be a reason the castle nut if too far below the cotter pin hole. Either he stretched the shank or the ball is pulling from the socket. Don't tell me the ball won't come out of the socket, that's exactly what happens when they fail.

You can not pull the tapered stud through the tapered hole. It will snap off long before that happens and 70-80 ft/lbs is not going to do that. As for pulling the ball from the socket, that doesnt even make sense as an explanation of what is or isnt happening. Do you think the ball itself is being pulled through the much smaller tapered hole?
Its the incorrect castle nut for this application. Thats the reason the cotter pin hole is above the castellations. I have seen it before and the new part (sometimes) came with a washer and (sometimes) an explanation.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 02:43 PM

You're wasting your breath , only flat rate monkeys have a clue how anything can be put together .

I've had to fix more stuff screwed up by someone trying to make 16hrs of pay in an 8 hour day ...

X2 Your right and these guys saying to slam it together and get it out the door just bring the whole industry down. No clue or care about liability.

It might even have been the right box with wrong part in it with the wrong taper as the Op is only talking about one of the ones he purchased. It needs investigated.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 04:02 PM

Jim and Gus you wont change their minds.Especially John.He is the expert in every field and has done tens of thousands.We had quality surveys on everything we did at the shop.We still carried a 98% approval rating.
As for the balls coming out of the sockets yeah they do.Its called wear and being dry also.In 50 years Ive never seen anyone pull a ball out by tighting it.Like I said you guys over think the simple things.Rocky

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 04:28 PM

Quote:

Jim and Gus you wont change their minds.Especially John.He is the expert in every field and has done tens of thousands.We had quality surveys on everything we did at the shop.We still carried a 98% approval rating.
As for the balls coming out of the sockets yeah they do.Its called wear and being dry also.In 50 years Ive never seen anyone pull a ball out by tighting it.Like I said you guys over think the simple things.Rocky

I never said the ball was coming out of the socket, that was something someone else said.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There's got to be a reason the castle nut if too far below the cotter pin hole. Either he stretched the shank or the ball is pulling from the socket. Don't tell me the ball won't come out of the socket, that's exactly what happens when they fail.

You can not pull the tapered stud through the tapered hole. It will snap off long before that happens and 70-80 ft/lbs is not going to do that. As for pulling the ball from the socket, that doesnt even make sense as an explanation of what is or isnt happening. Do you think the ball itself is being pulled through the much smaller
tapered hole?
Its the incorrect castle nut for this application. Thats the reason the cotter pin hole is above the castellations. I have seen it before and the new part (sometimes) came with a washer and (sometimes) an explanation.

You can't? Then why was my '08 Cummins Ram just recalled for tie-rod end failures? It seems the housings are cracking allowing the ball to come out of the joint. Dakotas had this same problem a few years ago. When the housing cracks there's not much to keep the ball in the joint, It's coming out! Wear alone isn't the only thing that lets the joint come apart, housing failures will let it happen, that's the reason they're recalled.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 05:25 PM

Quote:

Your right and these guys saying to slam it together and get it out the door just bring the whole industry down. No clue or care about liability.

It might even have been the right box with wrong part in it with the wrong taper as the Op is only talking about one of the ones he purchased. It needs investigated.

Well said
Posted By: stumpy

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 05:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You can not pull the tapered stud through the tapered hole. It will snap off long before that happens and 70-80 ft/lbs is not going to do that. As for pulling the ball from the socket, that doesnt even make sense as an explanation of what is or isnt happening. Do you think the ball itself is being pulled through the much smaller
tapered hole?

You can't? Then why was my '08 Cummins Ram just recalled for tie-rod end failures? It seems the housings are cracking allowing the ball to come out of the joint. Dakotas had this same problem a few years ago. When the housing cracks there's not much to keep the ball in the joint, It's coming out! Wear alone isn't the only thing that lets the joint come apart, housing failures will let it happen, that's the reason they're recalled.

Not even the same thing. You can't pull the ball out of the socket by tightening the nut. Mainly because you aren't putting any kind of pressure on the socket at all. The tapered shaft will only go so far into the drag link. Yes the socket can break from wear but not by over tightening the nut during installation which is what we are discussing here. Stick to the original subject.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 06:00 PM

To answer the question. Do you want to take a chance on it or not? It`s up to you. For me I wouldn`t. Some people like the odds but I don`t. Of course I`m the kind of person that gets new tires before they are completely bald and blow out.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 06:29 PM

Maybe you should read this recall notice, enough said.

Attached picture 8277492-DSC08689.JPG

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 06:50 PM

Where does it say the installation caused the fracture? The problem is statement in the recall explains that under certain driving conditions it could fail. If you take a good look at a picture of an uninstalled Tie rod end you will see what we are talking about when we say tapered shaft that can't pull the ball out of the socket while being tightened. Tightening the shaft puts no pressure on the ball and socket at all. The recall is about the ball and socket separating due to the side force applied while turning and putting pressure on the joint.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 06:59 PM

Stumpy it dosent say that.But you will never get the armchair experts to see it.A defect in a part isnt the same as tightening it.Hell to pull a ball out of the socket you would have to destroy the arm and all.Then the top of the stud would snap off first.Its that plain and simple.John I didt say you said that.
Rocky

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 08:48 PM

How do you know the shaft was made with the correct diameter or even the correct taper? If that shaft is too small it could definitely pull on the ball before it makes contact with the arm. Castle nuts are designed to have the cotter pin go through the towers, not to let it loosen a couple of turns before it contacts the towers. All I'm saying there's something not right there.
Here's a suggestion, why don't one of you guys buy the tie-rod off the OP and install it on your car? We'll see how many of you are willing to do that.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/22/14 09:19 PM

GC340, You are wrong but will go to any lengths to avoid admitting it. If the taper was wrong something else would have happened before the 80 lb-ft was reached. Most likely the nut would have run out of threads and it would not have torqued at all, because of no tension in the tapered part holding it from turning.

Important fasteners are usually torqued to 75 - 80% of their yield strength. If the stud torque was determined that way, the 80 lb-ft should have deformed the stud.
If so there will be a necked-down area right between the threads and the beginning of the taper. The OP can check that.

That still doesn't mean that the tie rod end is shot. Plastically deforming the stud actually increases its yield strength to the point it was deformed to. That's what work hardening does. That's why cold-rolled steel is stronger than hot-rolled steel.

This indeed has NOTHING to do with any recall for studs fracturing or otherwise coming apart. It's two different animals.

There are different thickness castle nuts and the wrong nut probably got put on the part during assembly. A real Grade 8 washer should take up the slack.
Or buy the correct castle nut.

It seems like a portion of people live in fear, and are not satisfied until they influence others to live in fear too. That's probably so they have company in their fearful existence.

That's why it is hard to give real answers on this board, answers that are based on fact and not on fear or "I have heard".

Then there are the ones who use China as an excuse for every sort of ignorance or prejudice. It's really easy to use as an excuse or as a way to tear down something or somebody else.

R.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 12:10 AM

You're all correct, tie-rod ends can't come apart. I guess Chrysler is wrong too. Chrysler just ordered a recall so they can install free parts on customer's cars. They like losing money.
Posted By: moparts

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 01:17 AM

Just amazing reading this thread, How a simple problem is made to sound so difficult

Lets see they were $4 tie rods, with too short castle nuts shipped with them , so get the right nut or space with washer.
Then again the new cars just use Nyloc nuts now.

On the recall, totally different problem, defective manufacturing the allows the ball to pull out of the socket , nothing to do with a short castle nut

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 01:18 AM

GC340, Do you have a reading comprehension problem because nobody said they can't come apart. I don't know where you came up with that. What the OP and everyone else is talking about is coming apart ON INSTALLATIONN BY OVER TIGHTENING. Which can't happen and has nothing to do with what you are rambling on about.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 01:27 AM

Quote:

Just amazing reading this thread, How a simple problem is made to sound so difficult

You must be new here

Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 02:23 AM

This is more fun than Seinfield reruns.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 02:36 AM

Quote:

lol....wait till the middle of winter!! This is just practice!!

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 03:17 AM

Quote:

Lets see they were $4 tie rods, with too short castle nuts shipped with them , so get the right nut or space with washer.
Then again the new cars just use Nyloc nuts now.

On the recall, totally different problem, defective manufacturing the allows the ball to pull out of the socket , nothing to do with a short castle nut

It is a $15 moog tie rod end and about $30 with shipping - not sure where you get your parts but I need the details....

I gotta get some props for starting the thread of the week-I took the nuts off the rod tonight - threads looked ok - I have a ball joint seperator coming in Wednesday to pull the joint and not damage it so I can post pictures and hopefully prove someone right...replace the rod anyway since I am there again.

Plaz-o-mat
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 03:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You must be new here

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 03:45 AM

Quote:

I wanna play Kramer.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 03:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I wanna play Kramer.

Careful...that could end up in place of prostock
Posted By: 69Y2RT

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 04:24 AM

Quote:

you've pulled the ball almost out of the joint

Just like you will pull the tire off the rim by over torquing the wheel studs

Its just the wrong nut, not rocket science.
Get the correct nut, don't use washers to make the wrong nut work.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 04:34 PM

I recommended just buying a new one because they are a cheap and easy to replace part... to me it sounds like the op is worried about it and a new one is worth the peace of mind.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 05:00 PM

I know the tapered shaft goes into a tapered hole and the taper creates an interference fit. But suppose the taper on the shaft was machined 1/4" too low on the shaft. Now the tie rod housing is making contact with the center-link or ball joint arm before the tapered shaft contacts the tapered hole. As you tighten the nut it starts pulling on the ball inside the joint, possibly cracking the housing allowing the shaft to seat in place. Now the castle nut is too far down on the shaft causing the OP's problem. You guys are most likely right, it's just the wrong castle nut, but what if the above is the problem, he just puts a washer under the nut to raise it to spec, drives down the road and it comes apart? You don't take chances on critical components and a tie rod end is definitely a critical steering component.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 05:08 PM

Bullpoop. If the taper is too small, the taper won't grab, either because it is too small and goes all the way through, or else because it'll pull down so far that the nut will bottom out on the stud BEFORE touching the steering arm. When either of these two things happen, one cannot torque the nut to 80 lb-ft.

It's not that easy to torque to 80 lb-ft without a really solid tapered fit. Heck, I've had to chisel off more than one nut because the taper wouldn't hold when trying to remove a rusted-on nut.

But if you want to live in fear.....

R.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 05:14 PM

Man some of these people are thick.Ill run it on my car.Im not a sky is falling guy.As for Chrysler replacing parts you better get some comprehensive reading classes.It says nothing about them being overtightened.Just like when they get dry and old.Yeah thay can and do pop out.Id pay to see you pull one thru the taper and get it to pop out of the body.Rocky

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 05:18 PM

I didn't say the taper was too small, I said maybe too low on the shaft. If a manufacturer is unable to supply the correct castle nut can that same manufacturer be relied on to machine the taper correctly on a shaft? All it would take is 1/4" off.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 05:24 PM

If "if's" and "buts" were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas.

Joseph Don “Dandy Don” Meredith (April 10, 1938–December 5, 2010)
Posted By: 69Y2RT

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 05:26 PM

Quote:

I know the tapered shaft goes into a tapered hole and the taper creates an interference fit. But suppose the taper on the shaft was machined 1/4" too low on the shaft. Now the tie rod housing is making contact with the center-link or ball joint arm before the tapered shaft contacts the tapered hole. As you tighten the nut it starts pulling on the ball inside the joint, possibly cracking the housing allowing the shaft to seat in place. Now the castle nut is too far down on the shaft causing the OP's problem. You guys are most likely right, it's just the wrong castle nut, but what if the above is the problem, he just puts a washer under the nut to raise it to spec, drives down the road and it comes apart? You don't take chances on critical components and a tie rod end is definitely a critical steering component.

If that was the case, the steering would be locked up even if it was torqued correctly the first time.

You would pull the threads out of the nut before you would damage anything else by just over tightening it.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 05:56 PM

GODSCOUNTRY340 give it up you're just digging the hole deeper. It is obvious you have every little if any experience with front end repair. Let it go.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 06:02 PM

I'm with 'dogdays'....get on with it!

Joe
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 07:05 PM

My best guess would be just replace the da#n thing but I guess that's to easy.

Posted By: BDW

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/23/14 11:12 PM

Any chance the taper is upside down like in the recall?

Sorry, couldn't help myself

Don't waste your time or money, add a washer and be done with it.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 09/25/14 05:53 PM

Quote:

Any chance the taper is upside down like in the recall?

Sorry, couldn't help myself

That's the last straw, imma throw my tie rod shims back in the tackle box I call a toolbox and I'm headed home!

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 10/05/14 08:20 AM

Quote:

-I took the nuts off the rod tonight - threads looked ok - I have a ball joint seperator coming in Wednesday to pull the joint and not damage it so I can post pictures and hopefully prove someone right...replace the rod anyway since I am there again.

Plaz-o-mat

Pictures and report please.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 12/01/14 06:37 AM

OK Gents, just a quick update, did this a while back.

When inspecting the tie rod end I removed, it looked fine. Also on this moog part anyway there was no way I could have pulled the ball from is socket. At the end of the taper near the bar the shaft has a flat spot machined in it where the shaft increases in diameter..this flat comes up against the bottom of the hole and the worst I could do was stretch the shaft...not likely.

I installed the new tie rod end torqued to 40 and dam thing lined up the exact same way ? I put a washer under the nut to raise it up and called it a day...it will stay like this.

I did forget to mention earlier I installed the bigger C-Body rod ends on my 69 B-body suspension if that would have changed anything I do not know...

Thank you all for your help.

PLAZ
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 12/01/14 06:54 AM

Plaz before you go we need pics!
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 12/01/14 07:34 AM

You know, I did the exact same thing, and I asked ole Rick from Mopar Action what to do, and guess what he said? Don't worry about it, and that is exactly why the FACTORY nuts only had three tangs on them.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 12/02/14 02:23 AM

Robert, the car has been put away for the year...Canadian weather....

I should remember in the spring and take a pic then of the nut/washer/tie rod end...

Again thanks for all the help.

PLAZ
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? - 12/02/14 07:08 PM

Quote:

I didn't say the taper was too small, I said maybe too low on the shaft. If a manufacturer is unable to supply the correct castle nut can that same manufacturer be relied on to machine the taper correctly on a shaft? All it would take is 1/4" off.

Im still waiting to hear where in the recall notice it says over tightening the nut causes ball/socket to come apart. I think theres some spin going on here.
© 2024 Moparts Forums