Quote:

Quote:

I use dupont chromabase on almost everything now... mixed 1 to 1, a gallon will do a car in and out. Been using it and dupont clear for years. I used to use ppg, too expensive and not any better in my opinion than dupont.

Guy I know had his high dollar 71 curious yellow GTX painted using Dupont instead of PPG who has the orignial formulas for the colors.
Guess what...... WRONG color and now he has to live with it at every show, so much that he quit showing the car. He wishes now he would have spent the money for that too expensive paint.

Yes Curious Yellow is difficult to achieve in Dupont Chroma Base/Preimier, it can be done, but only thru the color keys as I've done this in the past for an exact match in the Dupont line, as the computer formula has been main lined by combining the ALTs available into one formula, this can happen with any paint mfg, mixer/painter, or John Q Public walking into a paint shop/body shop uninformed

I've seen a guy paint his car in PPG PlumCrazy, he jambed the whole car first, and being the typical "frugal" Mopar guy only bought what he needed for jambing, when the time came for the final body, he went back to the same Authorized PPG paint store, same mixer....guess what it was like night/day between the PPG color matches, the car looked like crap...back to basics again, this can happen to anyone, and any paint mfg,....like I've said before there's no magical paint formula or brand that guarantees a true match 100% of the time, there's to many variables, esp today with computer mix formulas being dumbed down for the paint mixers

We all have our preferred brands that we learned/trained with, some have blinders and a feed bucket attached when looking at paint choices, myself I've been painting/airbrushing vehicles for close to 4 decades, I've used just about everything out there in the way of color/technique, I'm always open to learning about new techniques/products....but I do find it comical to hear the posts that brand X is the best because of this/that, OEM use, etc, etc...and the "best" paint and best paint "match" in the world means squat if the prep is crap, and/or the value shade/primer base is inappropriate for the color chosen...

Mike