Quote:

The Sikkens chip we looked at wasn't even close to a match...

The problem with color chips, color eye, color keys, computer mix formulas, that yesteryear and more so today, is that the paint mfg's have streamlined the color ALTs to an extreme minimum, and at some cases, just one formula code/mix, ANY color or Mfg's paint can be made to match the desired color/hue/tint/etc....picking paint based on a "chip" is just the beginning, for some it's the end all to their paint quest, so many times I have a customer tell me their "paint guy" says no mix/formula for a certain color, or they buy their own paint believing it's an exact match, because the chip is so close (usually out of a 30 year old book), or the computer says it's right....I've gone to great lengths to get color matches at times, only to have the guy mixing it, FUBAR it....or supplied paint for a customers project that another painter is going to use, only to find out he changed the primer shade value on the car, which can result in a profound effect on the finished color at times depending on the paint, and color in question....so intial color/chip matching means nothing if the entire painting process to achieve a "match" isn't followed and this means right up to the tech applying the paint and his/her technique(s) employed

Mike

8182358-ppgcolorkeys.JPG (480 downloads)