Quote:

My usual 1 step forward, two steps back routine continues!

Received the new flexplate and bolts from summit in record time, and also put the water pump and alternator on to finish up the front of the engine. I decided to install it yesterday morning and got the thing about even with the grille, when my ancient hoist blew a seal, and refused to raise any further. So I lower it onto a temporary stand, as my hoist won't reach the ground when I have the chain shortened for installing into a raised car under the carport. I headed over to a friend's house to borrow his, then got a call from my son while I was over there, "Dad, we have a big problem! Your engine just nose dived onto the driveway, it's upside down, and puking oil all over!"
My heart sank, "Just try to get it upright on the oil pan", I instructed.

The first thing I noticed was that the water pump pulley was now behind the crank pulley, and was locked up solid. Removed the water pump, and found it had drove the impeller into the housing hard enough to crack it, so I spent the rest of my day removing the balancer, water pump housing, and oil pan, then cleaning up an old housing from the back yard and reversing the process!

You guys don't have to teach me the secret small block handshake, but will someone please explain how you install those darn rubber end seals on the pan! This thing is going to leak like a sieve, I just know it!

I've had them slip on some pans.
Apply RTV to the pan side of the seal only. Bolt the pan to the block w/o gaskets or sealer . If the seals slip, loosen and readjust. Let everything set-up overnight. Remove the pan and the seals are now adhered to the pan. Install the pan now just like a B/B.
Doug