Moparts

Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready!

Posted By: MoparBilly

Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 06:33 AM

I know many of you have read the misadventures of my 62 Valiant as it carried me through Drag Week 2011, and 2012. Just as most knew that it didn't make the trip last year as I planned and purchased parts for re-building the venerable stroker X-block that had powered it for the better part of two decades. But, that doesn't mean I'm just going to jump on here and throw a brief description of the new parts, and an obligatory engine on a stand shot and call it good. There's always a story to tell, and it's still winter for most of you, so I'm going to take the time to introduce you to the Valiant, the engine, and how I ended up throwing good big block money at a big small block!

The little 62 got it's first taste of the drag strip in 1988. Local Stock Eliminator racer Neil Smedley tossed a bare bones, budget 318 into a little old lady's 47000 mile survivor and had himself a clean little 12 second bracket car to play with, and keep his driving skills honed, without wearing out his Stockers. This photo was the first night I ever saw the car in action.

Attached picture 8021025-Scan10001-Copy.JPG
Posted By: ksj

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 07:08 AM

Good to hear you have started for next year.Not going to ask about the rest of the family.219 Days til DW 14.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 07:19 AM

I am looking forward to this tale of money well spent.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 09:18 AM

Oh boy..... here we go again!!
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 09:29 AM

Neil Smedley...Now there is a name I have not heard in a long time. He helped me out with some parts and advice a LONG time ago when I started with the Mopar stuff, circa 87..

Billy glad to hear you got the new engine done. Look forward to hearing about it. Assume I will see you at the national or divisional race. I might also be down next Saturday for the AZ S/St race, depends on how this weekends race goes.
Posted By: clonestocker

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 04:34 PM

Quote:

Neil Smedley...Now there is a name I have not heard in a long time. He helped me out with some parts and advice a LONG time ago when I started with the Mopar stuff, circa 87..

Ditto, Billy I didn't realize that was Neil's old car. Mr. Smedley if your lurking out there HELLO! It been way to long my friend
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 05:32 PM

Looking forward to the story!
Bill
Posted By: 6pak2go

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 06:06 PM

Sweet! Can't wait to hear how it did on Brian's dyno. I also am glad to hear of the EARLY progress being made.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 06:15 PM

So Billy... your gonna run the 62 this year at DW..
are you adding to the fleet or is something gonna be
dropped ... I think that your family makes up about
20% of all the drivers and cars there on DW

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 08:49 PM

Neil's focus with the Valiant was strictly mechanical, form equals function, but it wasn't long before the car caught the eye of Tom and Debbie Traw. A pair of fun loving California transplants, they were happy with the consistant 12.50's, but turned their attention to the aesthetic side of the little early A, and after they brought it up to near show car status, it attracted sponsorship from a local dealer.

Attached picture 8021655-IMAGE0037-Copy.JPG
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 10:01 PM

Putting my Dad to work!

Attached picture 8021747-DSC01603.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 10:04 PM

Lower end...

Attached picture 8021752-DSC01575.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/01/14 10:09 PM

BLUE!

Attached picture 8021758-DSC01591.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 02:46 AM

DISH

Attached picture 8022110-DSC01589.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 02:48 AM

complete

Attached picture 8022113-DSC01601.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 02:58 AM

Vid http://youtu.be/5nPhc_M9EC0
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 03:35 AM

Are those the Dr J's heads?

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 04:07 AM

As the sponsorship blossomed, and the Valiant became known as the "318 car", a plan was hatched to capitalize on that notoriety. That's when the car was fitted with a cage, ladder bars, tubs, hood scoop, and the engine that would power it into the 21st century.

Tom wasn't a big time gearhead, so the sponsor tabbed a well known pacific northwest super stock racer to build a rock solid bottom end, with a conservative top end. With "318" prominently displayed on the hoodscoop (you can barely make it out in this picture)Tom was sworn to secrecy, taught how to lash the valves, and given a rigid maintenance schedule which he adhered to religiously. The "318" was a virgin 4 bolt X block with stock 340 bore, 3.79 stroke crank, stock 340 rods, and Ross custom pistons which stuck .035 out of the hole. The top end was a pair of J heads, ported, Crane 1.5 gold rockers, the classic 296-557 MP solid cam, an M-1 intake with a 750 annular booster holley straight out of the MP catalogue. They rounded it out with a 4.88 geared 9", Turbo Action 4500 stall, and a low gear set 904.
When it debuted in the mid 90's running high 10's in good weather, and low 11's in the summer or at altitude, most people were impressed, and very few questioned the validity of the 318 claims.

Attached picture 8022233-391101_568333779868219_252148582_n.jpg

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 07:11 AM

In 1996, Tom was faced with a problem, the Valiant had to be at a Mopar race in Vegas, and he had to be at a wedding in California. So he tabbed me to drive it. I was in love on the first pass, and promised myself I would own the car some day. What shocked me was when he told me to shift it at 6400. "Good Greif Tom, how big is this motor?" I asked as I stared him in the eye.
"What do you mean?" he feigned ignorance.
"Well, the only Small block Mopar that ever blew my mind growing up in Oklahoma was the Kent Johnson/Bill Lamb wheelstanding Barracuda, and Kent used to laugh about 'fifty-five to eighty-five', so you can tell me it's a 318 that runs 10's, but it don't shift at 6400 to do it!"
That's the day I was in on the secret.
Tom raced the car for another 6 years or so, and the sponsorship eventually dissolved, leaving him without support, and a waning desire to keep it going. A broken ring gear, which in turn took out the sprag in the transmission, landed the car in Tom's garage for the duration of his ownership. I kept in touch, as the price whittled down over the years. In 2006, I attended my first Drag Week, and the hook was set, so when I returned to Arizona, I went to Tom with a single question, and the answer was yes he had a title for the car. We struck a deal two weeks later.

Attached picture 8022512-310966_568333693201561_159774003_n.jpg

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 08:03 AM

When I freshened the engine, and basically the whole car throughout 2007, the only internal changes I made was a 252/256 572/579 Hughes cam in place of the old 296-557 purple shaft. The 9 inch picked up 4.30s in place of the old 4.88s, and the 904 picked up a Griner Pro Brake. In 2008, I was still racing the Challenger, and ended up with a variety of people behind the wheel of the Valiant. 5 people made passes and it recorded a best of 10.70-123, my best (I'm larger by double) was a 10.89-121.

Attached picture 8022555-IMAGE0003.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 08:24 AM

The Valiant still found it difficult to stay in the tens at altitude and during hot weather, and this was frustrating when it was counted on as a back-up Super Street Car. But all that changed at the Vegas Divisional Finals in '08. I was running the Challenger with a borrowed engine, and my buddy put the Valiant in the wall at the top end. That ended the Valiant's career as a borrowed out racecar, and ended my involvement in NHRA SST all in one bad day at the track.

Attached picture 8022569-val01.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 08:32 AM

A year was spent repairing the car, and converting it to street use, that lasted exactly 1/2 of a pass, as the driveshaft collapsed in the middle, taking out the floorpan, and the 904. Tell me again why I like this car, and continue to throw money at it?

Attached picture 8022573-101_0697.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 09:05 AM

Then came the 2 well documented years of Drag Week, which were an absolute blast, but the old engine was down on power, running hot on the street, and using oil. Then the ancient ported stock heads started sucking water.

That pretty much gives you the DNA of the car, now I'll briefly cover mine. I'm a very typical Mopar guy, a follower and I'm not afraid to admit it. Every buck I spend on a car has to deliver results, and every part has to be reliable, so I tend to stick to the well beaten paths of success. I was consuming automotive literature before I had a driver's license. My very first purchase from Direct Connection/Mopar Performance was the 960+ page "India paper" behemoth "Mopar Bible" that I still have to this day.

My first 440 had Sealed Power flat tops, 284/484 purple shaft, Moroso deep pan, stock heads, Torker II and 750DP. I drove the Mopar stalwarts like Jim Pierce crazy at Mokan, constantly questioning not only what parts they used, but why. I was late to MSD, Aluminum Heads, Nitrous, etc. Chuck Senatore's prolific articles brought me up to speed on my second 440, and watching the KOS pioneers advanced my love of big plate systems.

I've never been one to fall for the "Trick of the week" marketing that the whole Chevy aftermarket seems to thrive on...even if some of those tricks have been around twenty years!

Attached picture 8022584-drag-week-2012-thursday-gallery-memphis-7011.jpg

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 10:40 AM

That brings us to the engine in Brian's photos...finally!

As I began research into which direction I wanted to go, I laid out the parameters of what I wanted. The street conversion had entailed adding a little weight to the Valiant, as well as a milder gear (4.30 to 3.89), and a tighter, more efficient converter (8 inch J&W, 4200 behind the 3.79 stroke, and a pleasure on the street), So I wanted more torque. Going from the 3.79 to a 4 inch just really didn't seem to be enough to justify a new rotating assembly. Then I read Dave Verna's masterfully written and photographed "430 inch small block build" on Moparts, and found a path I could definitely follow!
Weeks later I told my brother Dale, who owed me money from a car of mine he had sold, "Why don't you just call Rod at BPE and tell him I want the DJVCuda rotating assembly, in a 4.070 bore". Dave's engine had cranked out 627HP at 6500, and 560 ft/lbs of torque at 5000. Numbers I'd definitely be happy with except for a few caveats. The MCH Eddies and the roller cam. My X block has solid lifter bore bushings, and I want to stay with a flat tappet cam, also I felt that the Eddies are just a little small for this kind of engine.

As I knocked around ideas for a top end, researching the W and Indy stuff, Bryce Mulvey published his "new Airwolf 220 tested on a pump gas 408" thread on Moparts. While ordinarily the Word "New" would have scared me off immediately, I was intrigued with the build, the 633 HP at 6500, and 562 ft/lbs of torque at 5000 definitely caught my eye. Once again the presence of a healthy roller cam gave me rise to be cautious, but I began to think, with the Airwolf heads, on a BPE 428 shortblock, could I get comparable numbers with less cam?

I finally got Bryce on the phone, and ordered the heads, along with a beehive spring upgrade for the 3 steps bigger Hughes flat tappet I had in mind.

While I waited for my parts, I took the block to a co-worker who does machine work part time in his garage and had him bore and deck the block. Then I went to Drag Week 2013 with my beater 66 Satellite while I waited on the parts even longer!

Attached picture 8022609-hrdp-1209w-2012-drag-week-tech-day-1112.jpg
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 02:52 PM

Billy, your prolific tales of life as a Mopar guy are simply grand. You have a knack for writing and entertain us thourghly. As always I look forward to more---and thanks for keeping us snowbirds a little distracted in this stir crazy time of year.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 05:28 PM

Al and Matt,
I haven't seen Neil in a while, after he finally got that coveted National Event Wally in 2001, his participation fell off dramatically.

Rod,
Watching you and Ray playing with the Gen 3 Hemi makes me wonder if it is money well spent, I guess time, or time slips will tell.

Mike,
Our DW14 plans are still very much in the air, but I definitely intend to bring the Valiant, and most likely the Belvedere. Like Don say's we still have 219 days, so no use getting it figured out yet!

Jay and Bill,
Try to enjoy the ride...it may get bumpy from time to time.

Robert,
Hope the wrenching on the Barracuda is going well, and hope your ears weren't burning too much while I was visiting Brian in Indio!

Chad,
Thanks for the compliment, and for checking in.

John,
Yep, Dr. J's heads (Airwolf 220), an SV, and a flat tappet cam, some guys just have a knack for leaving HP on the table, I can't help myself!

Where the heck is Wize? Somebody go check under the Rocky and make sure he is OK!

Now let's crunch some numbers... no not the fun numbers, the not so fun numbers.

The BPE rotating assembly was 2306.75 to the door. Rod Bloomer was amazing to work with, and all the components were top notch.

The Dr. J's Performance Airwolf 220s were 2595.00 to the door with beehive springs. Bryce Mulvey was difficult to get in touch with, but all our correspondence was cordial and professional, the eventual 4 month wait time was agonizing, plan accordingly!

My co-worker gave me the block and a balanced rotating assembly back for 295.00.

So I'm sitting at (where's the calculator, my head hurts. My Wife and her lawyer aren't reading this thread are they?) roughly 5200, and I've still got a ways to go.

Attached picture 8022824-homework10001.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 05:47 PM

I know Brian had to flow one of the heads before installation as I know I would have. How did they stack up? The reason i ask is Brices numbers on STOCK Edelbrocks seem a tad high so high starting numbers equals high finish numbers. Also I may have missed it but what lift cam are you going with and what ratio rocker? Good-luck this year.
Posted By: BPE

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 06:30 PM

You guys were a pleasure to deal with. Hope to see some dyno numbers soon, now you just need to buy my barracuda.

Rod
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 06:40 PM

Glad I could help with my very small part - Cant wait to hear the results & Good luck with DW!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 09:42 PM

At this point, I was sitting around contemplating my options. I could toss it on the engine stand in my carport, and assemble it using as many as the old components off the 389 as possible. This option would limit my cash outlay, but I've only screwed together 2 small blocks. The first was a 318 with new silvolite pistons, 360 heads and intake, and a little 268H cam. The wife sure was mad when that thing fired off, you see, it was for her 76 Volare Duster, and I had sworn it wasn't going to be a hotrod. I'd used the 268H in a 440, and it would idle at 800, but it sounded completely different in that 318! The second was the simple re-fresh of the Valiant's 389. I sat there and looked at those nearly jewel like Race-tec pistons, clutching my copy of Jim Szilagyi's "How to build Big Inch Mopar Small Blocks" tightly to my chest, and I came to the realization I was probably in over my head!

The second option was to seek out professional help. That meant a four hour drive to Indio California, a tank of diesel, and explaining to Brian why I just didn't put all this in his hands from the very beginning. What I would be doing was something closely resembling driving to a restaurant, setting my own bag of groceries down on the Chef's prep table, and telling him what I expected my meal to taste like! I could get thrown out on my head, with groceries to follow, I could get cursed at and have to deal with an angry chef, or he could smile, meet all my expectations, and then charge me more than if I'd just ordered off the menu. The initial phone inquiry went quite well, so I decided to load everything up and visit IMM.

Attached picture 8023353-homework10002.JPG
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 10:05 PM

Your Valiant is sweet, Billy. I would like to find the same year in a Lancer to race.

Dennis
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/02/14 10:39 PM

Billy great story as always. Thanks for the kind words. I never realized I had that much info to offer. But appreciate your perspective. Jim

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 04:49 AM

I dropped everything off just before Christmas, and as expected, Brian was skeptical about some of the parts. We bantered back and forth about what I was looking for. Basically I told him I was looking for a 600+ HP tractor motor, that would put the Valiant solidly in the 10's, all the time, every time. Something I could drive on pump gas, but I would probably race on good gas. When talk came around to cam choice, and final compression ratio, he gave me an earnest look and asked, "Do you trust me?" He followed that up with wry smile and a quick, "And you KNOW I don't do tractor motors!"

And yes John, I could tell by the way he was eying the Airwolfs that one would be on his bench before I made it back to the AZ border...

A couple of days later, I received a detailed E-mail estimate for 4K+. I fired back an indignant response, questioning why he was condemning all my parts, and charging me such exorbitant labor rates. The next e-mail he sent me was all very measured responses, typed in red. I felt a pang of remorse for picking on him, as he had obviously missed the joke...but, it was fleeting. I really like Brian, and the one's I really like, get it the worst!

Last week, when he called to arrange the dyno session and pick up of the finished product, it was his turn to get a few digs in. "You know those heads didn't flow as well as Bryce claimed, right?"
"Yeah, Brian, I'm not surprised, I considered the numbers optimistic all along. The port volume, and the dyno numbers were factors in the purchase as well". I had to shoot him down quick before he got rolling, kinda like the guy at work who asks If that was your wife he saw at the club last night. You want to know, but you don't want to let him get under your skin, so you just roll with it!

Attached picture 8024244-CopyofDragWeek055.jpg

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 05:18 AM

I know Brian would have some sleepless nights if he didn't check a port on his bench. The primary reason I give before and after numbers is to show a customer CFM gain. When someone tells me an Edelbrock head flows 260cfm stock I know for a fact that bench needs calibrated. From what I have seen 243 seems to be a real common stock max flow out of an Edelbrock head. With a lot of work and a 2.08 valve they can reach over 310 but if I remember right even Brian says " you better check each port" as you are walking a very thin line. You can only get so much area without moving the pinch over and going with an off-set rocker. I want to play with a set to see how much can be gained with supposedly less water in the floor. Not the best place to gain area but where else can you go. My Friend dropped off his Indy intake today so I can test it on my head. On the set I ported for him the extra port volume in it actually raised his head flow instead of hurting it a little like most intakes do.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 05:48 AM

Billy, should I post the graph up?
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 06:03 AM

Great to read another story by you. Hope to one day meet you in person at drag week.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 06:03 AM

Cam choice:
Had I ordered the cam previously, I would have went with the Hughes HTL6468AS, 264/268 @.050 and .594/.611 lift with the 1.5 rockers. I would have had it ground on a 110.

My brother Dale was lobbying for the Howards 710782-06 grind with 264/268 @.050 and 632/643 lift. Out of the box this comes on a 106, so that wouldn't have worked.

But, it was up to Brian, and since he knew this thing would see serious street miles, had no oil at the lifter galley, and tied to the already purchased beehive springs, he decided to go conservative on the ramps. His choice was a comp flat tappet, 269/275 @.050, and 600/601 lift on a 111 Lobe separation.

The other parts Brian was left to procure were a new oil pump and shaft, billet roller timing chain set, .045 Cometics along with all the other gaskets, Manton 11/32 pushrods, SFI Balancer, and a SuperVictor intake. He re-used my Crane gold 1.5 rockers.

11.1 to 1 static compression, 175 psi cranking. 33 degrees total timing. IMM's shop 1000HP Holley with 82/90 and front PV only, and IMM shop 1 7/8 to 3" TTI headers through mufflers.

I think I've covered all the pertinent info..,I never have been a dyno flog guy, just always struck me as engine torture, so despite Brian's willingness to spend all day trying different things, I wasn't interested in going after a glory sheet. We tried more timing, it didn't like it, we tried tighter lash, didn't like it. The 5 good pulls were all within about 10hp of each other, and that was good enough for me.

The Basic numbers
RPM Torque HP
4200 507 405
4400 524 439
4600 537 470
4800 545 498
4900 547 510
5000 546 520
5200 542 536
5400 540 555
5600 535 570
5800 531 586
6000 525 600
6200 518 611
6300 512 614
6400 504 615
6500 498 616

Coming from a guy who say's he doesn't build tractor motors, a torque curve above 500 from 4200 to 6400 thrills me to no end. We pulled it to 6700 later and it lost 1 HP at 6600 and 1 HP at 6700, so 6500 was the true peak.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 06:05 AM

Quote:

Geez Brian, wish I would've read that before I typed all that out!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 06:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So Billy... with the 616 hp and the torque it made..
what do you or Brian figure it'll run.. I dont know
the weight of the car at race weight

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 06:18 AM

Nice job.!!!!!!!! Isn't it great that we can take parts like this and make very nice HP at lower RPM's and not have to beat the piss out of everything.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 06:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well at least your excited about this!!

Attached picture 8024446-DSC01625.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 06:39 AM

So Brian. What did Dr.J's heads flow on your bench. Inquiring minds want to know.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 06:57 AM

#'s graph

Attached picture 8024525-DSC01626.JPG
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 03:53 PM

Quote:

So Brian. What did Dr.J's heads flow on your bench. Inquiring minds want to know.

No didn't flow as advertised.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 06:48 PM

Keeping us on the edge of our seats here Billy!
Posted By: tsanchez

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/03/14 09:44 PM

Awesome!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/05/14 05:15 AM

Mr P. Body,
The car should come in around 3150 with me and the aluminum headed engine on board. I'm hoping for 10.40-10.60, and then I'll work from there...

John,
I have no idea what the heads flowed on Brian's bench, He just told me it wasn't as good as Bryce's numbers.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 02/05/14 06:59 AM

Quote:

Mr P. Body,
The car should come in around 3150 with me and the aluminum headed engine on board. I'm hoping for 10.40-10.60, and then I'll work from there...

John,
I have no idea what the heads flowed on Brian's bench, He just told me it wasn't as good as Bryce's numbers.

615 ponies at 3150 race weight it should do teens or 20's in decent air right off the trailer.
You got a fun lookin piece there bud
Posted By: mprhound

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/15/14 05:32 PM

Are we going to have a 2014 drag week story this year? I always look forward to your unique tales of drag week, the prep and actual event.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/15/14 07:13 PM

Ive been bugging him about that.He said not much progress on his or the other cars.Probly waiting til Aug 1st.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/15/14 07:31 PM

Just when I thought I was out... They pull me back in!

The engine for the Valiant is sitting in Darryl's shop...I hope. I haven't been over there in a couple of weeks, and he was threatening to drop it into his Dart.

Attached picture 8176988-009-Copy.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/15/14 07:39 PM

Quote:

The engine for the Valiant is sitting in Darryl's shop...I hope. I haven't been over there in a couple of weeks, and he was threatening to drop it into his Dart.

If the engine has been "abandoned" in Darryl's shop it should be put to better use
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/15/14 09:34 PM

Quote:

But, it was up to Brian, and since he knew this thing would see serious street miles, had no oil at the lifter galley, and tied to the already purchased beehive springs, he decided to go conservative on the ramps. [bold]His choice was a comp flat tappet, 269/275 @.050, and 600/601 lift on a 111 Lobe separation.

The other parts Brian was left to procure were a new oil pump and shaft, billet roller timing chain set, .045 Cometics along with all the other gaskets, Manton 11/32 pushrods, SFI Balancer, and a SuperVictor intake. He re-used my Crane gold 1.5 rockers.[/bold]

So....it was over $4k for the above parts, balancing and assembly ?? Sounds like you have $10k+ in a 600 hp engine ??
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/16/14 12:27 AM

Quote:

Well my W2 motor is out of the car waiting for its new owner to pick it up.
But you do have some time Billy before your motor goes in the Dart need to upgrade the 904 and change the front suspension to coil over.
Car should be ready for testing as soon as the warm weather breaks.
By the way you do have enough parts to set up a NOS system so I can run with those 8.5 outlaw guys don't you Billy?

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/16/14 12:46 AM

Billy is the NOS man! You bet he's got enough laying around!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/16/14 03:26 AM

Quote:

So....it was over $4k for the above parts, balancing and assembly ?? Sounds like you have $10k+ in a 600 hp engine ??

6 pak runner,
I stopped at 9800$, just to keep my sanity. For a pump gas, 615hp small block, with street reliability that fits within the paramaters I established before the build, ie solid cam, stock header and rocker layout, etc.
I could have built an 800hp BB race motor for the same money, but that would not have accomplished what I needed out of this combo.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/16/14 03:35 AM

800hp big block for $9800.... I guess if you fell into parts here and there it could be done. Thought this thing was done, locked and loaded and ready to make the road trip to do battle! Hanging around Darryl should have rubbed off on ya by now!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/16/14 07:27 AM

Quote:

800hp big block for $9800.... I guess if you fell into parts here and there it could be done. Thought this thing was done, locked and loaded and ready to make the road trip to do battle! Hanging around Darryl should have rubbed off on ya by now!

I agree...it's time people get realistic about cost vs. power vs. quality!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/16/14 09:14 AM

Quote:

Exactly J-body,
It's much easier to "fall into parts here and there" when you and 4 family members have been running BB's for 30 years! It really should be "done, locked and loaded", if the Valiant ever gets to the front burner again, but it seems owning 5 mopars, can spread your focus, dollars, and time a little thin!
Since I've made the return trip from Brian's shop with the engine, it's been an interesting year indeed...

Attached picture 8177595-004-Copy.JPG
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/17/14 06:08 AM

Wow, how did I miss this thread?

Haven't been around much but man good info here for sure!

I'd like to see what the actual numbers the Airwolfs flowed on Brian's bench, comparing the point to point with the advertised numbers. What I'm more interested in seeing is the port CSA and CCs vs advertised, I think that has more to do with the top end power and relatively high peak torque RPM we see out of these. Like I said 300cfm is really like 100cfm over 20 or so seconds, because that's all the time an intake valve is open.

I've always been one for full disclosure, some old timers may remember I offered up my Chapman stage VIs for flow testing years and years ago,

I think 615 is very impressive especially when you compare it t Bryce's 633 horse motor with the same heads and basic shortblock, but with a higher lift solid roller cam.

With the Rocky I just changed my cam in the 414 to a .665/.640 lift from .585/.570 and I'm anxious to get out there again, from looking at the charts I should be upping my shift points to around 7200 vs the conservative 6800 I've had my chip set to, no more power up there but it might help the shift recovery with my tight converter. (Until i put up the coin for a 'proper' 8", lol) I want to thank all you guys ( both publicly and PM privately) for sharing the info on the site. I've always been a stick racer so you auto guys have been school in me good!

Billy the Valliant is Awesome! Can't wait to get the 440 W2 66 wagon done and running as well.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/18/14 05:46 AM

Wize,
I didn't pay to have Brian flow the heads...and I wasn't that concerned, as bottom line, the Dyno numbers were perfectly in line with my goals.

Charley,
How are the Challenger and Cuda coming along?

I finished up my last thread Drag Week 2013: The Experience in mid December, as I enjoyed driving the old yellow Satellite back and forth to work, while monitoring the improvements going on as Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park rose from the ashes of the former Firebird International Raceway. Even though I've attended the last 3 Drag Weeks, I've been absent from the local drag racing scene since late 2009, and was itching to get back to it!
The first team race was Jan 25th, and I drove the Satellite the 35 miles to the track, excited about a new, fresh start. In line for the first time run, the weak battery I'd been nursing for 4 months finally gave out and I heard the infamous clicking sound we are all familiar with. I pushed it out of line and was walking back to the pits when a young man approached me quickly, "Dad's got a jump box, wait here and I'll get it, you've still got time to make this hit!" A few minutes later he returned with his dad on a golf cart, and they hooked me up. The 440 turned over slowly, so I gave it a shot of fuel...it fired, and leaped forward about 4 feet before I got it stopped. I had unknowingly left it in drive when I shoved it out of line, and the car had a bypassed neutral safety switch that I was completely unaware of. I leaped from the car to find the young man rolling on the ground in pain, clutching his knee. The rest of the day was a blur. Cracked a bone in his leg, that required about 6 weeks with no weight on it. I didn't return to the track again until May, as I contemplated whether there was room for me in this sport any more.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/18/14 09:12 PM

Well I'd like to see what Brian's Bench says, but it you compare this 430 to Daves awesome 430 it's making close to the same power (615 to 627) but with only a solid FT instead of a roller. What's more telling than the raw CFM flow numbers is the 4900 RPM torque peak, that's showing that the heads are working pretty well for a 430 cube smallblock...not to mention the broad flat torque.

A 3 1/2" collector on that big of a motor might have helped it peak even higher and broader and pulled out even more HP above the peak, really pretty impressive!
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/18/14 09:19 PM

Quote:

Well I'd like to see what Brian's Bench says, but it you compare this 430 to Daves awesome 430 it's making close to the same power (615 to 627) but with only a solid FT instead of a roller. What's more telling than the raw CFM flow numbers is the 4900 RPM torque peak, that's showing that the heads are working pretty well for a 430 cube smallblock...not to mention the broad flat torque.

A 3 1/2" collector on that big of a motor might have helped it peak even higher and broader and pulled out even more HP above the peak, really pretty impressive!

I doubt the collector will show any gains..... I know it didn't on my 422 with good bit more steam, and it surprised me the car gained nothing after the sway.
Posted By: mprhound

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/18/14 11:16 PM

Billy,
My brothers Cuda is closer than my challenger.

We are dropping the motor in the Cuda this weekend, already got the gear vendor on the 4speed . Hopefully by end of next week, job schedules permitting, we can drive it and see how many bugs are in it from setting up 7 years. My new bottom end is almost done, went with a 505 stroker kit and bought a set of indy ez's. Also I got the call from passon last week so my 5 speed ought to be here this week. And I am really nervous about time with upcoming family vacation , littleleague Allstars etc etc etc but we will make it, may just not get to sleep any though in the meantime!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/19/14 12:08 AM

Wow, Billy! So sorry to hear of the accident at the track. That would have shaken me up a lot. Did the guy recover okay?

I was wondering if you were going to update this thread. Now that the summer heat is solidly set in here in the desert, it's time for you to get to work, lol!

I'm making slow but steady progress on my Barracuda project, I'm only about 3 months behind my schedule.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/20/14 05:04 AM

Robert,
The recovery has went well for him, and my insurance company took care of the monetary compensation, but the fact that my actions led to harming another person, because I was worried about getting in a time run... well, it does cause you to step back, and adjust your perspective.

Of course, the craziest day of the year so far was "National Hemi Day" 4/26, when Drag Week registration opened and closed in only 8 minutes. I barely talked my son into helping me at the last minute, he told me to just register the second car after you finish the first. But I was adamant that I felt there wouldn't be time, and it turned out that my spidey sense was right.

Boone got in early with the Barnyard Viper due to his 3rd place finish. I'm in with the Valiant, Rachael with the Belvedere, and Dale with the Gremlin. Darren got an entry in, but he hasn't touched the Charger, instead he's been playing with some red Dakota Sport, with a tunnel rammed BB 4 speed that he bought from Florida. Dale's stepson Cody also has an entry, but I have no idea if he has a plan of what to take!

Attached picture 8181786-0531141135.jpg

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/20/14 06:33 AM

Ha!! and there's one small block step child in the mix! Way 2 represent!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/21/14 03:15 AM

Quote:

Ha!! and there's one small block step child in the mix! Way 2 represent!

Well Jay,
Truth is Darryl's Dart has managed the quickest average for the last two years in our little group, so I hope the Valiant, IMM/Airwolf/BPE 428, and I can keep that up! Dale has had the Gremlin running pretty consistant 10.60's at 126 since he's thrown his spare glide and converter in it, and he's been driving it all over Tulsa.
Darren's little Dakota has potential, one trip to the track yielded 12.0-121 hopping and jumping all over the track, so he brought it home and had the whole leaf spring rear half cut out, this is the new arrangement.

Attached picture 8182747-IMG_0621.JPG
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/21/14 04:10 PM

Billy sorry to hear of the neutral sw. accident.
Wiring wasn't my favorite part of cars.(although I have gotten better) I always made sure the neut. sw. worked.

Is that an Alston battle cruser 4 link?
Had one in the Barracuda when LRT Cassis back halved it.
Great beginning to an even greater story I'm sure!
Don

Attached picture 8183048-meandbeekneeling.jpg

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/29/14 01:24 PM

Don,
The only store bought pieces in that 4-link are the rod ends, and the ARB. Everything else, the chassis guy fabbed himself. He spent his formative years in a Nascar shop and he's very talented.

If you saw that previous picture of the front yard all pretty, with the 3 b-bodies out front, I have to explain. That was staged to impress the city inspector. We had spent the entire Memorial Day weekend working on cars, and we had junk strewn from one end of the yard to the other. The city guy showed up on Tuesday and had me on 8 code violations, so most of my June was wasted appeasing the city and my neighbors. I did manage to get the Belvedere to the track a couple of times, but other than that, and ordering more parts, not much got done. Yesterday I dug the Valiant out of the back, and put it under the carport again, so I can truly begin my DW14 Thrash. Then I went over to Darryl's and rescued the smallblock. As soon as I got it on the hoist, I realized there was already a problem, the old 3.79 crank was 8 bolt, and the new 4.125 crank is 6 bolt. Order a new flexplate and bolts, and wait for the summit box to arrive... good thing I've still got 70 days!

Attached picture 8191079-004.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/29/14 04:37 PM

...and summer has arrived. Not a fun time to be working on the rides.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/29/14 05:25 PM

Quote:

...and summer has arrived. Not a fun time to be working on the rides.

True but it's a DRY heat.
Here in Northern IL I went into the garage yesterday and it felt cool. Haven't had the doors open since after the last race.
However with 80* temp and a dew point of 70*, I was covered in sweat in no time.
I am thinking about putting a window AC unit in.
I am going to do some work on it today. If I get off this puter?
Don

Attached picture 8191295-5-12-07final.jpg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 06/29/14 06:25 PM

Well it was only 107 here yesterday, and since Phoenix is typically 5-7 degrees warmer than we are....

Looking good Billy. Interested in seeing how this new deal runs. Love that Dakota too. Best of luck this year with DW!!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/05/14 05:46 PM

My usual 1 step forward, two steps back routine continues!

Received the new flexplate and bolts from summit in record time, and also put the water pump and alternator on to finish up the front of the engine. I decided to install it yesterday morning and got the thing about even with the grille, when my ancient hoist blew a seal, and refused to raise any further. So I lower it onto a temporary stand, as my hoist won't reach the ground when I have the chain shortened for installing into a raised car under the carport. I headed over to a friend's house to borrow his, then got a call from my son while I was over there, "Dad, we have a big problem! Your engine just nose dived onto the driveway, it's upside down, and puking oil all over!"
My heart sank, "Just try to get it upright on the oil pan", I instructed.

The first thing I noticed was that the water pump pulley was now behind the crank pulley, and was locked up solid. Removed the water pump, and found it had drove the impeller into the housing hard enough to crack it, so I spent the rest of my day removing the balancer, water pump housing, and oil pan, then cleaning up an old housing from the back yard and reversing the process!

You guys don't have to teach me the secret small block handshake, but will someone please explain how you install those darn rubber end seals on the pan! This thing is going to leak like a sieve, I just know it!
Posted By: MattW

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/05/14 06:25 PM

Don't
Clean and use RTV.
Matt

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/05/14 09:00 PM

Damn Billy, hope you've used up all your bad luck and things go better. I had similar luck yesterday also. Set the engine in only to find out that Charlie's super stock style pan with the drag link tunnel isn't going to work. Friggin tunnel is way to far forward, at least 2".
I either get a different pan or re-work this one. Know anyone around here that you'd trust to re-work this one?

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/06/14 03:26 AM

Quote:

So I lower it onto a temporary stand.....

somehow I can't get a picture of a yard sale press board coffee table out of my head.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/06/14 11:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So I lower it onto a temporary stand.....

somehow I can't get a picture of a yard sale press board coffee table out of my head.

There may have been a dairy product shipping container involved, beyond that, I plead the fifth!

Robert,
We have an excellent fabricator where I work. I'd trust him on form, fit, and function, just not sure it would be as pretty as it was before...

The Dakota is coming along nicely...bed sides are removable.

Attached picture 8199221-imagejpeg_0.jpg
Posted By: dvw

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/06/14 12:25 PM

Quote:

Damn Billy, hope you've used up all your bad luck and things go better. I had similar luck yesterday also. Set the engine in only to find out that Charlie's super stock style pan with the drag link tunnel isn't going to work. Friggin tunnel is way to far forward, at least 2".
I either get a different pan or re-work this one. Know anyone around here that you'd trust to re-work this one?

Is the drag link facing rearward? You can rotate is 180 to get some clearance. Probably not 2 " though.
Doug
Posted By: dvw

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/06/14 12:30 PM

Quote:

My usual 1 step forward, two steps back routine continues!

Received the new flexplate and bolts from summit in record time, and also put the water pump and alternator on to finish up the front of the engine. I decided to install it yesterday morning and got the thing about even with the grille, when my ancient hoist blew a seal, and refused to raise any further. So I lower it onto a temporary stand, as my hoist won't reach the ground when I have the chain shortened for installing into a raised car under the carport. I headed over to a friend's house to borrow his, then got a call from my son while I was over there, "Dad, we have a big problem! Your engine just nose dived onto the driveway, it's upside down, and puking oil all over!"
My heart sank, "Just try to get it upright on the oil pan", I instructed.

The first thing I noticed was that the water pump pulley was now behind the crank pulley, and was locked up solid. Removed the water pump, and found it had drove the impeller into the housing hard enough to crack it, so I spent the rest of my day removing the balancer, water pump housing, and oil pan, then cleaning up an old housing from the back yard and reversing the process!

You guys don't have to teach me the secret small block handshake, but will someone please explain how you install those darn rubber end seals on the pan! This thing is going to leak like a sieve, I just know it!

I've had them slip on some pans.
Apply RTV to the pan side of the seal only. Bolt the pan to the block w/o gaskets or sealer . If the seals slip, loosen and readjust. Let everything set-up overnight. Remove the pan and the seals are now adhered to the pan. Install the pan now just like a B/B.
Doug

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/10/14 03:39 AM

Dale added a plate to his Modified NA Gremlin, and tested it oput on the street last weekend against a Stroked TT Supra 6 powered Fox body... The Tuner crowd went home disappointed. Dale is headed back to the track Friday night, having decided he's too old for the street scene!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-4h-48en7A

Attached picture 8203557-1074220_10151884943492112_1762700703_o.jpg

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/10/14 04:38 AM

That wasn't even close.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/10/14 06:28 AM

Sweet! He's ready for Farm Truck!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/12/14 03:50 PM

Dale went 9.88-134 at the track last night, and emptied his first bottle through the Gremlin's low compression 440, sounds like he's addicted already!

Countdown clock says we have 55 days to get ready, but it's only 23 days that I won't be at work, and this is one of them, so I better get to it!

The Valiant as of 6:30 this morning.

Attached picture 8205965-001.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/12/14 04:51 PM

Go Billy Go . Sure wish they still had the Mopar Shootout's . matt

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/12/14 04:52 PM

You are making progress Billy. The motor is in the right place.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/12/14 04:57 PM

I <3 the Valiant

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 07/12/14 05:15 PM

Make it happen Billy, and kick your brothers in the pants to get going. Can't believe were down to less that 2 months once again.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/05/14 12:30 PM

Okay.. Let's hear the latest Billy..

It's getting closer..

Chris..

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/05/14 02:14 PM

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/05/14 04:09 PM

Well, let's see. That was a very exciting Tour De France... and the Street Outlaws season was much better than the previous two.
Managed to get the entire side yard cleaned out, and a nice 28X50 concrete pad put down... I've been wanting to do that for years!
Sold the 66 Satellite "safety net" that I took on Drag Week last year...What? It's only a month from Drag Week? I better get busy!

Attached picture 8230742-001.JPG
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/05/14 09:47 PM

Congrats to Dale, pissing off the tuner and Fox body crowd!, with a Gremlin!!
Now get back to getting that Valiant ready to go so all of us that don't get to do Drag Week can live vicarously thru you!

Good luck with the new motor!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/06/14 06:29 AM

Quote:

Well, let's see. That was a very exciting Tour De France... and the Street Outlaws season was much better than the previous two.
Managed to get the entire side yard cleaned out, and a nice 28X50 concrete pad put down... I've been wanting to do that for years!
Sold the 66 Satellite "safety net" that I took on Drag Week last year...What? It's only a month from Drag Week? I better get busy!

Parts car in the pic.??

Chris..

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/06/14 07:35 AM

I have 2 Questions also.

A) Why do you have a air hose run to your dog?

B) Did the (next?) car come with the concrete?

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/06/14 08:03 AM

Quote:

I have 2 Questions also.

Blow up Dog.??

Chris..
Posted By: G_bob

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/06/14 04:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have 2 Questions also.

Blow up Dog.??

Chris..

Hmmm, sure that air hose isn't plumbed FROM the dog? Perhaps Billy has something better than nitrogen for airing up tires....
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/06/14 04:43 PM

Quote:

Robert,
The recovery has went well for him, and my insurance company took care of the monetary compensation, but the fact that my actions led to harming another person, because I was worried about getting in a time run... well, it does cause you to step back, and adjust your perspective.

Of course, the craziest day of the year so far was "National Hemi Day" 4/26, when Drag Week registration opened and closed in only 8 minutes. I barely talked my son into helping me at the last minute, he told me to just register the second car after you finish the first. But I was adamant that I felt there wouldn't be time, and it turned out that my spidey sense was right.

Boone got in early with the Barnyard Viper due to his 3rd place finish. I'm in with the Valiant, Rachael with the Belvedere, and Dale with the Gremlin. Darren got an entry in, but he hasn't touched the Charger, instead he's been playing with some red Dakota Sport, with a tunnel rammed BB 4 speed that he bought from Florida. Dale's stepson Cody also has an entry, but I have no idea if he has a plan of what to take!

love this thread, love the build, I will be putting a hitch on my dakota and doing the drag week thing soon too.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/09/14 11:51 PM

The dog, has no brain, she wakes up in a new world everyday!
Gotta have a parts car with a 62 Valiant, my plan was to part it out and sell what I didn't need...then I figured out that the whole "just part it out" thing is actually work!

T-29 day update:

When I bought the Valiant in 2006, it had the old stock wiring, and an orange box electronic ignition. I decided to go with a MSD Digital 6 plus, a roll bar mount Painless switch panel, and a nice pre-made relay panel that fell off the back of a big yellow turnip truck. Since it was a race car with only one seat, my buddy and I decided to tuck all the new wiring behind the dash on the passenger's side firewall, easily accessed while laying on your back in the passenger floorboard. We didn't even touch the old factory stuff.
Fast forward to Drag Week 2011. The car now has two seats, exhaust, tags, and we are sitting at Topeka, in the tech line, when I tell Dale that we need to "power up" the factory wiring to see if I'm going to have headlights, taillights and such. He spent the next two hours all contorted and cursing. The factory fuse box was hurled out the door about 15 minutes into the surgery. DW 2012 wasn't much better, with several more hands into the wiring, and wires just running across the trans tunnel with no rhyme or reason.

I decided to clean it up this weekend.

Fatboy wiring 101 dictates that the seats must come out...
This is not a luxury, a comfort, or a convenience... it's straight up necessary!
Secondly, if you intend to be able to go to work Monday, stealing the pillows and blanket off the bed definitely cut down on the need for Advil!

BTW, Dale went 10.88-125 NA last night, then 9.48-137 on the plate...anybody think he's going to run NA on Drag Week? I'm guessing it's going to be Modified Power Adder for the Gremlin.

Attached picture 8234953-001.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/10/14 06:24 AM

I always enjoy your drag week posts Billy. One of these years I would like to give it a shot.

Glad to see you have some time to deal with the potential problems.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/10/14 08:26 AM

Hmmm.... knowing there's an active drag strip in Phoenix I can't help to think there hasn't been some covert testing were not fully aware of. Do you REALLY think one of Billy's brothers would be ready for drag week ahead of him??? I feel we've been cheated out of some et slips here...... Come clean Billy!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/18/14 07:36 AM

...and now no weekly update. something is up

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/18/14 09:24 AM

What's up is that I am progressing at a snails pace!

I installed a new repop trunk lock(remember the lost key incident) and carefully readjusted the trunklid to eliminate the pesky problem it developed of grabbing the rear window gasket. Afterwards I checked carefully to make sure the latch lined up with the lock. Satisfied, I slammed the trunklid shut and stepped back to admire my handy work. It was at this time, I reminded myself that I had left the keys for the new repop lock in the trunk for safekeeping! Luckily the repop trunk lock was not nearly as robust as the factory original, and it only took a screw driver and three smacks with a 2lb sledge to render it useless. I may never have a trunk lock in the car again!

The wiring is finally complete. The button at the back of the shifter is the trans brake. The smaller one mounted to the side of it goes to a toggle switch that allows it to be used for the horn or the line lock. The button on the shifter itself is for the nitrous, and is wired through the accessory 2 on my switch panel, which can only be activated when the ignition is on. The dome light works, and is activated by either door switch, as installed at the factory 52 years ago. I hooked the factory dash lights into accessory 1 with my gauges, and every single bulb lit up on cue ( The two Drag Week trips previously in this car, I had the tack light and oil pressure, that was it) The dash is completely assembled, including a new repop glove box liner.

The engine still hasn't been fired in the car, this dang Race Demon carb is kicking my butt. I rebuilt it, and now I can't get the floats or needle and seats to work, every time I turn on the fuel pump, it shoots fuel out of the vents.

I wanted to swap the seats from side to side, as the passenger one has more hip room, but apparently the six bolt helicoil pattern on the bottom of plastic race seats is not universal...didn't see that coming until I had all the brackets removed.

Boone Had a hall effect switch failure in the Barnyard Viper's distributor.

Dale still hasn't replaced the alternator on the Gremlin that failed about 4 months ago.

Darren just ordered 3800$ worth of parts for the Dakota. All of which will still need to be installed when I get to Oklahoma.

Attached picture 8243968-002.JPG
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/19/14 02:46 PM

Looking good Billy! See you in a few weeks.
Posted By: BBR

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/19/14 11:04 PM

Right on schedule!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/20/14 03:06 AM

The keys in the trunk trick never gets old.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/23/14 08:36 PM

2.76s out 3.55s in. Should make consistent 11.50-11.60 passes a little easier for Rachael, and possibly allow me to take a little N20 jet away from her as well.

Boone is changing the cam and lifters on the Barnyard Viper, he's starting on it today, since he was afraid we were going into "Thrash Week" with too many cars assembled and ready to go.

Attached picture 8249427-001.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/24/14 05:36 AM

ROFL! So which one(s) is going to be still working on in the tech line?

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/26/14 12:47 AM

Billy, getting stingy with the updates, LOL.

I was wondering what has been happening. Glad to see in all these years of hearing your stories and getting ready that nothing has changed. Panic right until the end!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/28/14 07:58 AM

Sorry I haven't been more forthcoming, just get frustrated on occasion.

The Belvedere.
It's sitting behind the trailer, ready to load. Once I get back to Oklahoma, I'll finish wiring up the new gauges, but mechanically I feel pretty confident. After Rachael's DNF after the first day last year, I wanted to make sure this year was better.

The Valiant.
Put Darryl's 950 HP on tonight, fuel leaking out of both accelerator pumps. Did fire it up but not for very long. When my son gets home from work in the morning we'll get the hood on it, so I can load it. Would like to head out around noon tomorrow, we will see.

The brothers aren't sending me any pictures, and are being very vague with where they are. I'm fairly Confident that the Gremlin, in all it's lexan window, 5 gallon fuel cell glory, will be ready, as will the Barnyard. Darren's Dakota however...not a chance. It was back at the chassis shop today, then goes back to the paint shop for 3 days. So we will get it Tuesday, and we are supposed to put new gauges in, interior, wiring, and convert it to E-85...I promise I'll take pictures!!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/28/14 01:53 PM

Billy, you have been doing this long enough to know you can't trust a body shop timeline lol.

See you soon!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/29/14 12:18 AM

Heading for Oklahoma as soon as the Grandson gets home from first grade, got to tell him bye or he will be upset!

Think I've got everything loaded...

Attached picture 8254254-001.JPG

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/29/14 12:25 AM

Have a Great Time .
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/29/14 12:30 AM

See you at Thunder Valley!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 08/29/14 07:39 PM

Have a safe trip, and good luck on Drag Week!!,

one day I'll get to do this.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/04/14 03:28 PM

hmmm.... no updates. I'm thinking Billy's interest is waning at this point. Maybe Drag Week is been put on the "been there, done that" list. Wonder what's next for the boy..... Silver State Challenge comes to mind

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/04/14 05:03 PM

Billy's at his brothers house in Tulsa, getting both cars ready to do some testing this Friday and Saturday night.
As far as I can tell he has put about 10 miles on the new motor in the Valiant.
He sez the new motor pulls real good and spins to 6500 very fast, he is looking forward to getting it to the track.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/04/14 05:12 PM

Quote:

Billy's at his brothers house in Tulsa, getting both cars ready to do some testing this Friday and Saturday night.
As far as I can tell he has put about 10 miles on the new motor in the Valiant.
He sez the new motor pulls real good and spins to 6500 very fast, he is looking forward to getting it to the track.

Good luck guys.... have FUN.. hoping for no breakage
EDIT
We had to put another engine in a buddies car so he
could make it this year... he should make the week
but doubts he will even make the 32 field

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/04/14 06:34 PM

I wanted to go to test and tune Friday but I will be yanking the motor to fix a pan leak. Last weekend I yanked the motor to fix the thrust bearing and went with a different brand of gasket and it is biting me. All this for a race with zero prize money LOL.
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/04/14 11:01 PM

I heard on the first trip around town it got up to 250 degrees so they were going to have to address that this week.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/05/14 03:29 AM

Forget to fill the radiator? LOL.Me bad.The " Clan" better all be there on Sunday.See you clowns then.Crack the whip Billy.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/07/14 06:25 PM

Looks like he is inline

Attached picture 8263595-badassvall.jpg

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/07/14 07:00 PM

Moparts member Johnnyrotten (John Hindley) is also at dragweek with his Valiant. They started out the season with an all Hindley final in the street class at MaTS with jr taking the win over his dad.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/07/14 09:09 PM

Quote:

Moparts member Johnnyrotten (John Hindley) is also at dragweek with his dads Valiant. They started out the season with an all Hindley final in the street class at MaTS with jr taking the win over his dad.

Is John Sr. there in Jr's Valiant? John Sr. has a Cuda. Maybe Jr took the Valiant there in tribute to it's previous owner. Anybody know for sure? thx matt

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/07/14 10:24 PM

I see that as of 38 minutes ago Larry Larson showed
up with the new S-10.... still has never been on
the track yet.. will make its FIRST ever pass later
today.... good luck to all that made it there
EDIT
That was when the post happened.. I assume he made the
dead line

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/07/14 11:58 PM

Quote:

Looks like he is inline

That's my dad and I talking to Billy, my car is in the background. I was the first one through tech.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/07/14 11:59 PM

white Valiant was on the trailer Matt.... I'm assuming jr and sr are both in that car.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 12:32 AM

Quote:

EDIT
dead line

Mike,

I am not sure of the exact time Larry Larson rolled in but it was in plenty of time to get in line for tech.

We will miss you this year!

Bill

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

EDIT
dead line

Mike,

I am not sure of the exact time Larry Larson rolled in but it was in plenty of time to get in line for tech.

We will miss you this year!

Bill

The wife just told me 309 cars teched in today.. thats
what will start tomorrow.. then see how many leave
the gate .... yeah wish I was there.. but maybe next year
if its closer to me.... best of luck to all of our
MOPAR guys.... kick some butt

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 02:18 AM

you only live once Mike..... get that G#& D@!^ car out there!!! DO IT!!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 02:25 AM

Quote:

you only live once Mike..... get that G#& [Email]D@!^[/Email] car out there!!! DO IT!!

Maybe next year... I figured $3k to get there and run
and back... thats a pricey week... and thats without
any problems

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 02:52 AM

I sure wish I was there again this year.
Even if you do not win your class as long as you can make it through the week you have beat Drag Week.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 03:10 AM

Quote:

Even if you do not win your class as long as you can make it through the week you have beat Drag Week.

I hear ya... why didnt you go this year... how many
of the Billy group made it

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 03:31 AM

Quote:

Can't wait to see what you make it back with......

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 04:09 PM

Anyone a link for the Drag Week video?

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 04:22 PM

Quote:

Anyone a link for the Drag Week video?

There is a live link on the other post
Posted By: fed

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 06:15 PM

Just saw him do a 10,97 At Tulsa in the Valiant!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3H1TxTf2X4
Posted By: fed

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 06:18 PM

Barnyard Viper coming up!
Posted By: gofish

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 09:19 PM

I have seen the Valiant, the Gremlin, the Dakota and the Barnyard Viper, was that Rachel in the blue Satellite? They mentioned an all white 1971 D100 that might be a Gebhardt, anyone know for sure? 5 possibly 6 Gebhardt cars?
If nothing else Hot Rod ought to recognize them for turning out the whole family!

Danny

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/08/14 09:24 PM

Blue car was Racheal's.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/09/14 12:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I sold the motor out of my dart, plus just did not have the money this year.
A 69 Dart is not a good car for the street race SB/NA, wheel base is to long and the cars are to heavy.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/09/14 12:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I sold the motor out of my dart, plus just did not have the money this year.
A 69 Dart is not a good car for the street race SB/NA, wheel base is to long and the cars are to heavy.

I hear ya.. I didnt have the money either

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/09/14 02:07 AM

Quote:

white Valiant was on the trailer Matt.... I'm assuming jr and sr are both in that car.

During the announcing today they said that John Jr.'s wife Opal was driving the car. I think it ran a low 11. They also said they took it as a tribute to the previous owner who passed away during Drag Week last year.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/09/14 05:45 AM

11.19..... and I think he's already sure how he spending his "vacation" next year. Sounds like he's hooked! His wife and mom and dad are there.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/11/14 12:59 AM

Good talking to you and the family today. Boy they sure cut it close to making it to the staging lanes today.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/11/14 01:52 AM

I was at Nobile today fro Drag week day 3 . That valiant was great and that 440 powered Gremlin were real crowd pleasers. That FAST superbee would be a shocker on the street.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/11/14 02:32 AM

Quote:

I was at Nobile today fro Drag week day 3 . That valiant was great and that 440 powered Gremlin were real crowd pleasers. That FAST superbee would be a shocker on the street.

The fast bee is a buddy of mine and they(him and Dudec)
have been having problems with it keeping the oil pressure up

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/11/14 02:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The fast bee is a buddy of mine and they(him and Dudec)
have been having problems with it keeping the oil pressure up

They were wrenching on it hard. Would of loved to talk to Dave but he was busy.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/11/14 03:12 AM

Quote:

Good talking to you and the family today. Boy they sure cut it close to making it to the staging lanes today.

not sure who that was directed to.... but you replied to my post, and I'm not there. Just spectating, watching from the net, and getting some occasional text messages from people having alot more fun than I am!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/14/14 05:11 AM

bet you'll be heading back to Phoenix with a big chit eatin grin on your face Billy.... you had one awesome week with your daughter and brothers..... waiting for the details!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/14/14 06:02 AM

I talked to him Sunday at registration/test and tune.Said he was sick and tired of the slacking off by his brothers.Talked to him Tuesday and he said all was good. LOL.Typical family deal.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/14/14 02:36 PM

I ran my truck in daily driver cause I didn't get my 'Cuda finished in time. I can say the Gebhart family had an epic struggle this year but they all finished! I'm sure the stories will awesome.

I also had the pleasure of meeting John and traveling with him from town to town. You could not have scripted a better finish for him, winning the daily driver race with Steve's car. He had his game on and was amazing. In the final, he ran a 11.12 on a 11.12 dial! His Drag Week registration was a surprise anniversary present. That's why the announcer kept calling him Opal. Congrats again, John!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/14/14 06:16 PM

White D 100 long bed with the red butt stripe is Casey Cunningham from around Amarillo Texas.

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/16/14 06:46 AM

Just got back in Phoenix tonight.
Drag Week this year was awesome, but very expensive and painful! J-body is right though, the Valiant and I had a great time. I can't thank Brian at IMM enough, I did all kinds of mean, nasty things to that poor small block, and it never complained once.
10.49-124.8 best on motor
10.18-129 on only nitrous pass, sawing through the vert. Plenty more left, not even close to optimum, and it cruised like a champ, even on 87 swill in a pinch!

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/17/14 08:53 PM

Quote:

Just got back in Phoenix tonight.
Drag Week this year was awesome, but very expensive and painful! J-body is right though, the Valiant and I had a great time. I can't thank Brian at IMM enough, I did all kinds of mean, nasty things to that poor small block, and it never complained once.
10.49-124.8 best on motor
10.18-129 on only nitrous pass, sawing through the vert. Plenty more left, not even close to optimum, and it cruised like a champ, even on 87 swill in a pinch!

Engines like to be treated this way Billy! Glad you had fun, can't wait to hear the stories.
87 octane...

Re: Drag Week 62 Valiant's Small Block is finally ready! - 09/17/14 10:51 PM

Hey Billy, Congrats to you and the family for the award!
Are you coming out to the Fall Fling this year?
© 2024 Moparts Forums