I know many of you have read the misadventures of my 62 Valiant as it carried me through Drag Week 2011, and 2012. Just as most knew that it didn't make the trip last year as I planned and purchased parts for re-building the venerable stroker X-block that had powered it for the better part of two decades. But, that doesn't mean I'm just going to jump on here and throw a brief description of the new parts, and an obligatory engine on a stand shot and call it good. There's always a story to tell, and it's still winter for most of you, so I'm going to take the time to introduce you to the Valiant, the engine, and how I ended up throwing good big block money at a big small block!

The little 62 got it's first taste of the drag strip in 1988. Local Stock Eliminator racer Neil Smedley tossed a bare bones, budget 318 into a little old lady's 47000 mile survivor and had himself a clean little 12 second bracket car to play with, and keep his driving skills honed, without wearing out his Stockers. This photo was the first night I ever saw the car in action.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines