Stuff I need to do just for starters. There's much, much, more

Interior needs a little work. Headliner is in pretty good shape as Dad had replace it b4 the flood. Door panels and back seat panels need replacing.

rust around front and rear glass

Better do something with that top too! ...and I'll probably iron out the rear valance that sitting off to the left here

As I said, I got my challenger from my dad who was the second owner, so that makes me the third. Due to circumstances from spreading himself too thin (he owned and or maintained a couple dozen cars after his retirement from the Marine Corps) to all of his time he devoted to the Shriners and Masons, the Challenger got neglected. It pretty much sat for at least 10 years. Well after 3 years of it sitting here in Omaha, I finally made time to start on it.
Well, Brakes are done and its running!! Not without a little effort mind you LOL First I had to solve the problem of it not cranking with the key. Turns out I have a bad neutral switch so I created a temporary work around by grounding the ground terminal on the starter relay. Next I had to figure out why it wouldn't idle. Remember, this car sat for more than 10 years and sat under water after a hurricane in NC. Dad drained the engine and transmission and got it running again and then had to move on to other priorities. Well I think most of Atlantic Beach had settled in the float bowl Long story short, I bought a carb kit and fixed the idle problem. Had to add some dexron but I was able to drive it around the block. First time for me in 20 years I have some noise coming from the rear end. I shoved as much grease in the axle bearings as I could without taking them off while I did the rear brakes but not sure of their integrity. They didn't look too bad but it could be the input shaft bearing too... or all three. Well I knew it wasn't going to be easy. Next project after I fix the rear end noise is the exhaust. It broke at the muffler while I was working on getting it to run.
"If it ain't one thing, it's another. It just goes ta show ya; its always somethin'!!" Got in to move it one day and saw antifreeze on the passenger side floor mat. Heater cores are too bad in price, but I'm just bypassing for now.
I drove the car to my friends garage to store for the winter and notice a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust. Some, I’m pretty sure is bad valve seals and some may be rings. There’s less than 100,000 miles on the stock 318, but with the neglect, I’m surprised I was able to even get it to run. I have no qualms about an overhaul and when I do it I’ll go ahead and throw a cam in. I have an AVS that according to the digits is a LP off a 71 C body. Freshen up the 318 with that, the cam and dual exhaust, it should be a little less sluggish than stock I don’t plan to race it; Its just the stock 904 tranny with a one wheeler 8 ¾ rear. But It should be fun. Well, Thanks for your interest and any helpful criticism or suggestions
Scott

Last edited by Scott Carl; 11/26/08 02:00 AM.