mine is going to be a driver too. maybe in the future, when im rich and all (right) i'll start modding the motor, but for now the increase in mileage and driveability couldn't hurt.

anyway as I was mentioning the biggest hurdle i've run into other than the ever-present lack of funds is how to rig up a speedometer and cruise control setup. the stock 545rfe trannys do not have a VSS hole on the tailshafts. Ive heard tons of different things about where the ECU gets its VSS signal. some people are saying the tranny output sensor, others are saying the ABS sensor on the rearend of the late-model vehicle.

the research i've done into the ABS module seems that it is an analog hall-effect sensor that puts out a certain pulse-per-revolution of the ring gear in the differential. the ABS on the donor vehicle uses this to assess if the wheels are turning while the brake are on. then this signal is supposedly converted by the ABS module to digital and communicated to the ECU. there is where you get your vehicle speed for the speedometer.
now that is what i've heard. I don't know if it's correct, but people with late-model trucks that have their speedo freak out usually need to replace the ABS sensor on the rearend, leading me to believe this is indeed the case.

a lot of people on here seem to think you can tap into the trans output shaft speed sensor on the trans for VSS. however it would definetly appear as if you'd have to have a module or some programming in the ECU to convert that signal, which tells you how fast the tailshaft is spinning, into vehicle speed. I don't know if this is a pulse-per-mile or pulse-per-revolution setup.

im going to call autometer, hotwire auto, and dakota digital this week to pick their brains about the issue and see how their products would work with this setup.