ok, I finally got around to pulling the head, everything looks ok head/block wise, anyway to tell for sure without the machine shop route? I do not feel any ridges/depressions with my finger nail. There was a piece of head gasket missing between cylinder 2&4. Now for the litany of questions;

1) Head gasket was part number 8519PTI(8519PT1?), I believe it's a fel-pro, is there a better alternative? I believe my engine is .030 over.

2) Should I get new headbolts? If so which ones, ARP? If not, I have a set from an early 70's RV440 I tore down, can I just swap out one of those for the knicked/marred up one? Is there somewhere I can find a matching bolt to the set I have.

3) I have a one piece valley intake gasket (one giant gasket for both sides and valley), better alternatives? Existing one has the heat crossover I'd like to block that off, any reason not too? (car just gets warmed up every now and then in Winter, rarely driven). Car has Performer RPM intake and iron heads. Is there any setups to separate the valley tray from the intake gasket?

4) I'd like to order all the parts at once to redo both sides, my mental parts list is new header collector gaskets, header gaskets, head gaskets, intake gasket, carb gasket, possibly new headbolts (if necessary). Am I missing anything? Do I need any locktite or gasket sealer? (I know the header bolts need sealant since they go through into the coolant passages).

Pics to follow...

7736761-P6090128.JPG (42 downloads)