Quote:

For us a average paint job, strip, repair, filler work, prime, blocking, paint, color sand & buff is about 500 hours. This includes putting the car on a rotto and blasting and undercoating the bottom & wheel wells. Some of our customers want the underside painted this takes longer about 40-50 hours. If something has to be replaced like 1/4's or rockers that adds time. AND what kind of paint did you go with? I see in the pics that the jambs and body of the car are painted at the same time so I assume that this is a single stage enamel paint meaning no clear coat. A single stage paint job is a little less time consuming than a base coat clear coat paint. Because you have to assemble the car prime and block, take the car apart jamb it then put it back together to paint the rest of it. Now this is just the paint job!, when you start installing and assembly, that can hit 3-400 hours easily. shoot on these old Mopars you can get 60 hours in the wiring harness! So to see the pics of where the car is at with 900 hours, I can understand why it might be so. But did they do the car as I would do it? that is the question. do they give you a rundown of what they spent time on or do they just give you a bill to pay? I would be interested to see how long they spent on each aspect of the job. Someone said that a body shop is not a restoration shop this is very true, I have had guys that had awesome reference from a production body shop that could not handle the restoration business.
Here is the 70 RT/SE we is building:

What is your labor rate?

At 500 hours with a $40/hr rate you are saying a full resto paint job like on that challenger with no metal replacement is $20,000.

Does that 500 hours include disassembly of trim/moldings etc?

How many hours would it be for a car that was delivered as a shell for only the parts that needed paint. With a shell like this there are no parts to store around the body shop to get fithy, broken, or lost. Nor take up valuable body shop square footage.

Like this:

Last edited by autoxcuda; 02/05/13 04:37 AM.