Quote:

Quote:

When i bought my first Holley blue back in the 80s, i heard that they weren't very reliable in a continuous duty(daily driver) application. So i kept the mech and turned the electric on when racing,etc. That first Holley blue lasted for years. When i switched from the factory 5/16 fuel line to 1/2 inch, i took off the mech. The Holley blue failed after about a year. Replaced it with a new one, it lasted a couple of years, bought another, it lasted a couple years. Switched to a red and it's been going for a long time . So... my long winded point is... Factory mechanical pumps are cheap, electric pumps are not.

and the electric pump on my Dakota that puts out 50 psi is 15 years old, and has 100K street miles on it, and it doesn't cost that much more than a quality, aftermarket, low pressure carb fuel pump.

so there's no reason why an electric pump CAN'T provide reliability.

Was your system "dead headed" or did it have a return line to keep the fuel flowing? was there enough air flow to keep the pump from overheating? modern EFI pumps are submersed in fuel to keep them cool, and they have a regulator right at the tank that lets the fuel they pump continue to flow, the excess pressure dumps right back into the tank.

maybe the trick to getting an aftermarket "performance" carb pump to last is to keep it cool and let the fuel continue to flow vs dead heading it.

Your idea makes sense. I just ran the Holley "deadhead" regulator with no return line.