Quote:

I don't understand why the desire to have 2 pumps. if you're going to put on an electric pump thats capable of delivering enough fuel on it's own, then why keep the mechanical pump? why not just bypass it, remove a few pounds of weight, and keep the fuel cooler.

what benefit do you GAIN by keeping the mechanical pump after adding an electric?

When i bought my first Holley blue back in the 80s, i heard that they weren't very reliable in a continuous duty(daily driver) application. So i kept the mech and turned the electric on when racing,etc. That first Holley blue lasted for years. When i switched from the factory 5/16 fuel line to 1/2 inch, i took off the mech. The Holley blue failed after about a year. Replaced it with a new one, it lasted a couple of years, bought another, it lasted a couple years. Switched to a red and it's been going for a long time . So... my long winded point is... Factory mechanical pumps are cheap, electric pumps are not. The life of an electric pump is greatly extended if it is rarely on. A mechanical pump has never left me stranded on the road, an electric has .Sure,a big ,fat high output mech would be fine for all my stuff but i like the electric for other reasons too.Like priming the system after the car has been sitting without having to crank the engine forever . Also as a way of checking for leaks after doing any fuel system work without having to start the engine.