Quote:

Not to hijack, but I measured my pinion angle. I found that I am 2 degrees up on the pinion and 2 degrees up on the driveshaft/trans for a total of 4 degrees positive.

The Mopar Performance Chassis book says the pinion angle should be 5 to 7 degrees negative. But that's for a drag-only car I guess.

I've got a street/strip car with Superstock springs. I ordered a pair of 4 degree shims. By my calculations that should get me down to 4 degrees negative (a 2 degree shim would get me to 0, so another 2 degrees would get the pinion down 2 degress plus the driveshaft down 2 degrees for 4 degrees down total). Is that a good compromise for a street/strip car? I've been researching this online and have been coming up with the recommendation of 4 degrees negative a lot. Some will even recommend various amounts of negative pinion angle for various amounts of horsepower. Like 4 degrees down for cars in the 400 HP range and more towards the 7 degrees down end for higher HP like 700 HP and up. Is my math correct? Thanks!

no, driveshaft really has nothing to do with pinion angle. it's the relationship of the tranny output shaft to the pinion that's important. as Dr. Diff said, for a street car, 2 degrees nose down relative to the tranny output shaft is good for a street car

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)