To do reman, you need 1000 viable cores per year for 3 years, anything less is a waste of time. 360LA engines are out. You aren't going to get there with 360LA.

Next? 5.9 magnum. When the OE ran out of 5.9 engines, MP switched to .020 over reman with magnum RT heads and rated at 390HP. All new internals purchased at considerably higher prices than the OE, low volume machining, and resulting higher MSRP....but still very popular.

So popular, that backorders piled up. At one point there was an 8 month wait. Why? 4 out of 5 stock 5.9 blocks went to scrap because they were either cracked, overheated just shy of melting, or were too thin to go .020 over.
Core viability. Time to move on.

Reman does not work, the end

There is absolutely nothing deceptive about my statements
re: Gen 3 hemi. 6.1 or 5.7 fits in any car or truck that originally came with a 318, period.
If you're too cheap to buy headers, find some stock manifolds that will fit, cut and weld 6.1 tubular manifolds until they will work, or use Hooker headers instead of TTI. If you're too cheap to buy a computer, use a megasquirt, solder it together yourself at the kitchen table. If you're too cheap to buy two new carbs to put on an Edelbrock dual quad manifold, do like I did, buy a pair off ebay and rebuild them. If you're too cheap to buy motor mounts, buy the mounting plates off of ebay and weld them up yourself. Money can be saved in 1000 places and the end result can still be great. Still not reasonable enough? Then don't do it....but don't complain Gen 3 costs a fortune when you aren't willing to homebrew anything.

Those suggesting cams and compression are on the right track...but please try to consider the end result when a customer puts an 11.5:1, 260 @ .050, .650 lift 360 engine into his loaded b body with air conditioning, power brakes, a stock torque converter, a 600cfm carb, stock exhaust manifolds, 3.23 gears, puts 87 octane gas in it, and uses a Wal Mart motor oil with a Quaker State filter. Do you really think he will be happy with it? Do you think he has any clue how to tune it? How long do you think it will last in that application? Just because you and I know better doesn't mean everyone else does.

I know how to be cheap. I have maybe 5k into my 451 low deck, it has a very nicely machined 1972 engine block and a reworked 1969 crankshaft in it, as well as many other used/reworked parts. It also has 10.75:1, and .630 lift. I have fun with it, I think 123mph is fairly respectable for what it is, and having built it myself at home I take some pride in it. I also think it would be the most miserable crate engine you ever saw.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri