Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

$13K for a 440 small block is actually a decent deal. That 427 inch small block that we did for Tim's car cost about $18K to build.

It is actually pretty tough to build a complete engine with brand new parts for less than $10K. I'd say those prices seem fair.

A 410 horse 360 would be tough to build for under 10k?
Maybe you are right if its an r block and all but I can't see anybody spending 10k on a 360. The 360 crates used to be $3500 and look to be pretty near the same thing.

360 crates used to be pulled off the factory line, and get a cam, spring, intake, and t-chain cover swap....if that crate is all new parts using an R block, forged crank, etc, that sounds like a reasonable deal...

isn't Stanton Racing Engines basically hand building all the crate small blocks now?

That's probably the biggest reason right there. they used to be production line engines, and thus, as mentioned earlier, the volume of product allowed the price to be lower.

now that they don't make 360s anymore, they have to either use all aftermarket parts, or hit junkyards and source used blocks.

speaking of which, a 5.9L is a great junkyard engine that can make good power for cheap (I could make 450 hp with about 1500 invested, starting out with a complete junkyard 5.9L)

still, for those prices, I only see class racers buying one to be in compliance with rules.

**Photobucket sucks**