I bought my first car from my aunt for $175 when I was 14 years old. It was a 1967 Coronet 440 4-door with 318, 727, and 8-3/4". My aunt was the only person I knew who drove Mopars. She bought a '76 Aspen after selling me her Coronet.
Then when I was around 16 or 17, I bought a 1973 Snowfighter power wagon truck for $1,000. I dropped in a mildly built 360 and it was a great truck.
At the time, my family had a '73 Mercury Montego, a '76 Chevy van, and later a '80 Pontiac Citation. The mercury was falling apart, and the Citation was totally gutless. The van ran well, till it threw a rod, plus I did a bunch of fleet service on chevy stuff and changed out many nylon timing sets. Anyhow, by comparison to the other vehicles I had access to the Dodges were great.
The '71 Charger 500, originally a 383-4bbl, was my first 2-door car. Bought it for $550. I actually went to look at a '73 Charger that was for sale for $150, but it was sold when I got there, and drove past the '71 charger on the way back home.
It was sitting on the street with flat tires, but no for sale sign. I stopped and asked if they wanted to sell it, and they said sure