Quote:

Quote:

FULL DISCLOSURE NEEDED

CompSyn, does everyone on this board know you are an Amsoil dealer?

Could this be why you are touting your own product?

Don't your posts belong in the FOR SALE section?

R.

It should be obvious to anyone that he is a dealer. All you have to do is click on his name if it is not that obvious to you.

On the other hand, he never, to my knowledge, tries to get anyone to buy from him, or from Amsoil, but, he does bring tech data to the table to support his statements.

Seldom does anyone refute the data he presents. I don't see any problem and I do appreciate his efforts to present data rather than making claims followed by a plea to buy something from him.

Thanks! Appreciate that Strawdawg.

Quote:

Now on to the important stuff:
I am a mechanical engineer at a power generating station and for the last six months have been formulating a plan to bring my facility's lubrication system up to speed into the 21st century. I have been reading everything I could get my hands on about lubrication and filtering. Here is what I have found so far:

Recent research shows that particulate much smaller than the clearance of the bearings does indeed increase wear. The target filter size seems to be heading towards 3 micron absolute.

Recent research shows that varnish is particulate and can actually be filtered out of the oil.

Oil coming from the manufacturer is relatively dirty. As said in one of the quotes cited by CompSyn it is possible to filter the oil in a system to be CLEANER than new. So to think you gain in cleanliness by changing the oil is wrong. The proper industrial procedure is to filter the oil INTO the application.

Water is very bad for oil. It reduces film strength greatly. It causes additives to drop out or to become catalysts for oxidation of the oil. It can do other bad things as well, and all at less percentage than it takes to make the oil cloudy. So by the time yor oil looks like a milkshake the oil has been severely compromised for a long time.

Much of motor oil particulate has traditionally come from ingested dust. That is helped by an air filter. But there are other mechanisms active in the crankcase that can also form particulate.

We are experimenting with dessicant breathers on our oil tanks. We are also using a 3 micron absolute filter on our hydraulic oil in a "kidney loop" arrangement. This has reduced the particulate loading between one and two ISO cleanliness grades, which is HUGE.

I am in no way associated with AMSOIL but it seems to me from my reading that the synthetic medium filters (like Amsoil) are definitely better than ANY paper or cellulose filter. To me, this seems to be a fact.

If you need a better filter is for you to decide.

R.

That's right on dogdays.

One willing to dig into the science behind modern tech lubricant filtration will discover the same thing, 1950s technology paper oil filters are not the best we have available today. I'd also add that there is more than one manufacture producing glass media oil filters for automotive applications which is why I speak in general terms. I will add that some are made with "micro-technology", and others with "nano-technology". Research the differences in construction if you like.

Also, with regard to dogdays comments, there seems to be a fine point in filtration for automotive applications. Mr. Morrison claimed he saw evidence through personal experience that lube filtration capable of filtering oil to 5 microns or below could also begin stripping the Viscosity Index Improver (VII) out of the oils additive package. Apparently, lubricants used in industrial applications don't rely on the VIIs that automotive engine oils utilize, so this is not an issue in most of those industrial applications.

But yes, dogdays is also correct that there are automotive oil filters on the market today that can filter motor oil to a point of cleanliness beyond that of the brand new oil coming out of the quart bottle without stripping the additive package out of the oil.

Mr. Morrison went on to say that his, "ISO cleanliness is reduced from 18/17/15 to 14/13/11", when comparing the OEM paper oil filter to the alternative glass media oil filter he used in his testing.

Most astonishing of all, Mr. Morrison went on to say that,"my used engine oil is cleaner than the oil which came out of the quart bottle", again referring to the motor oil being filtered with the glass media oil filter.

I don't know, call me crazy but when a lubrication engineer specializing in filtration speaks out about his real world test findings, I figure he may know something a little more than an automotive mechanic, or a famed race car driver, or the guy behind the parts counter or even the smartest of smart Internet experts.